Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Calling an external page

With the old FrontPage program from Microsoft I could "call" a page of copy (.doc, .txt, etc.) from an external location. I have created a Word document in DropBox and have the link.
    It opens correctly in a browser page. How do I get it to open in a Designer Premium web page?

Default Re: Calling an external page

I am not sure I understand the question. Do you want a visitor to your website to be able to access a document you have on your DropBox account?

And if so is the document on DropBox or on your computer? I don't think you want people to be able to access documents on your computer unless you are running a server and have some pretty strong security.

Sorry, I didn't think this through, Gary. The security at DropBox' servers would prevent my web page 'calling' the file. I was looking for a cheap & cheerful collaboration on a simple Word doc. Thanks for the look.

You can sync your Word doc with a Google doc, make the Google doc public, copy the embedded code and create a placeholder (iframe =src etc. ).

Whenever you edit the Word doc, and provided you keep the two in sync, changes will auto-upload in your placeholder. The same applies for all the Google application suite.

There is lots of instructions on how to do the Word/Google sync, just have a browse and take your pick.

Well DropBox is perfect for sharing a file. Either for collaborating on a project or for making a file available for someone else to download.

I frequently get huge files that the client makes available for download on DropBox. I follow the file link he emails me and download from DropBox's website. So if this is what you want, it can be done. If you want visitors to your site to be able to download a Word document you can add the document to a ZIP file on your host's servers (same directory as you publish your website) and the visitor can download the Zip file. Or link to a PDF file. Because Word documents can contain macros, most internet security software will block a direct download which is why I suggested adding it to a Zip file.

That said, I would be remiss if I did not mention Xara Cloud can do the same thing and also enables collaboration of documents though in this case I think it has to be Xara documents.

I think I want to do what Initiostar suggests, however without Word. I have no problem creating the document in Google Docs and placing it in DropBox. Then, my collaborator can modify the Google.doc without my involvement and the resulting file will end up on my web page.

Unless I'm totally missing something.

Unless I'm totally missing something.
    Only one way to find out.

No you're not missing anything Windjamer. You can import a Word doc into Google Drive and save it as a Google doc. Further more you can select that file and publish it as a web document. You can then place this Google Drive web document into a placeholder and have anyone you give editing rights to change it's content dynamicaly within minutes. Really great for Tables too.

Here's an example, feel free to change it however you want, it's only a demo of no importance

DEMO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks, Egg, I'll give it a try when I get back to that file. Your DEMO wouldn't load in Chrome or Firefox for some reason. Timed out.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    Thanks, Egg, I'll give it a try when I get back to that file. Your DEMO wouldn't load in Chrome or Firefox for some reason. Timed out.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and expertise!
    I tried both Chrome and Firefox and was able to edit it too, tried again; the link opens correctly in both browsers. I'd have another go.