Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Woods and Trees !

Sorry to trouble you but I have been struggling all day with what I imagine is a rather easy problem to solve....

I am working on a bilingual website, English/French. To avoid unnecessary duplication and increased possibility of errors I am trying to arrange it so that all the graphics, video links etc are on the 'Mouse Off' layer. I then have two more layers, 'French' and 'English holding the relevant texts correctly formatted in their prescribed positions on the page. The idea was to place two small buttons, cunningly disguised as national flags also on the 'Mouse Off' layer. The user clicks on the icon of his desired language and a link in the Web Properties box, something like:- popup:"english" open "french" close, or vice versa, does the rest.

Unfortunately it doesn't want to play !

Any advice on this problem will be most welcome !

Merci d'Avance...

Default Re: Woods and Trees !

Someone will probably have a better answer, but why not create two sites, one with English and one With French. When the visitor lands on the home page, she or he has the option to click on cunning flag icons at the top of the page. If the visitor lands on the English site, and wants a site in English, cool. If the visitor prefers French, she or he clicks the adorable petite flag and goes to the French language version.

Basically you will have one site with all the appropriate files and a sub-folder for the other language. The sub-folder will contain the entire website in the other language.

If your site is mysite.com and the sub-folder is called French, then the link to the French language version is mysite.com/French

I was writing a long winded version of the same. Much easier and less prone to mistakes to create two separate versions.

Info Re: Woods and Trees !

I produced this as an example:

Xara - Franglais.xar

The expressions are of the form - popup: open "French" close "English"

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have moved this thread to Xara Web Design Chat.

As @gwpriester and @ChrisM suggest, I strongly recommend two separate sites. My website is in Spanish and English, the English being in a subdirectory of the Spanish domain. I do all the work in English, and when it’s finished, I cut and paste the Spanish text for the alternate version.

What you suggest sounds clever, but it is very complicated. Moreover, search engines get confused if they can’t identify the language of the site, and it may end up reducing the likelihood of showing up in search results.

Hi, and thanks for your rapid responses.

As far as making multiple version sites is concerned, I have been there. I have done trilingual holiday letting sites and local museum work. Quick and easy to set up but six months later when the memory cells have been disolved in red wine and you are asked to update and modify they can be a real knicker twister !

I liked Acorn's solution and that is very much like something which I tried and had in mind. Problems are that the initial page has no text until a button is pressed. Everytime you link to another page you have once again to make the language choice.

These issues could be solved if one could set the status of layers 'visible' or 'not visible' in advance. I could be wrong but it appears to me that by default all new layers are off until turned on.
    It would be really good if the status of a layer could be optionally transferred to the web page it linked to. Meaning if French was turned on in the index page it would remain on until actively changed.

Maybe this is already possible ? Happen I am asking too much ? Looking forward to hearing your views and suggestions.

Stay safe !

Quote Originally Posted by zapatak View Post
    Hi, and thanks for your rapid responses.
    As far as making multiple version sites is concerned, I have been there. I have done trilingual holiday letting sites and local museum work. Quick and easy to set up but six months later when the memory cells have been disolved in red wine and you are asked to update and modify they can be a real knicker twister !
    I liked Acorn's solution and that is very much like something which I tried and had in mind. Problems are that the initial page has no text until a button is pressed. Everytime you link to another page you have once again to make the language choice.
    These issues could be solved if one could set the status of layers 'visible' or 'not visible' in advance. I could be wrong but it appears to me that by default all new layers are off until turned on.
    It would be really good if the status of a layer could be optionally transferred to the web page it linked to. Meaning if French was turned on in the index page it would remain on until actively changed.
    Maybe this is already possible ? Happen I am asking too much ? Looking forward to hearing your views and suggestions.
    Stay safe !
    zapatak, I expected the ask for having a pop-up open on page load. I did a simple Page Head Code for this a time back:
    Code:
    <script>
      setTimeout( function(){
        xr_v1(document.getElementById('english').parentNode.parentNode.parentNode);
      }, 1000);
    </script>
    This delays the English Layer opening to an Anchor on the layer Named "english".

Xara already adds <html lang="en"> to the HTML when you use Text tool > Spelling icon > Document language: English (U.K.)

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I don't understand how to use it !
    I have added your script to the header page properties of the index page but what else do I need to do ?
    I have no experience of anchoring and am feeling a little out of my depth ! I managed to stick an anchor icon to a bit of text but it didn't help...
    As is apparant I am pretty clueless in this department but is there some sort of repositry where variables are stored whilst a page is displayed and would it be possible to copy the layer id from this to use in the next page ?
    just musing,
    Thanks again

zapatak, no worries, I was at lunch.

Xara - Franglais - opens in English.xar

The code block should sit in Web Properties > Page > HTML Code Insertion > HTML code (head).
    If you want it on every page then Web Properties > Website > HTML Code Insertion > HTML Code (head).
    Change the 1000 to any value. 0 is instant, 5000 is 5 seconds.

In the English layer, any object should have a Name associated with it. I chose the text area. Selection tool > left-click object + Utilities > Names: english. Note I used lowercase here to avoid layer and Name confusion.
    In the French layer, any object should have a Name associated with it. I chose the text area. Selection tool > left-click object + Utilities > Names: french. Note I used lowercase here to avoid layer and Name confusion.

The English icon has Web Properties Link as popup: open "English" close "French"
    The French icon has Web Properties Link as popup: open "French" close "English"
    Both should have Repeat on all pages set.

To put this into production, you probably need to pass a language flag between page links to ensure the called page opens in the same language.

Acorn