Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What resolution is your screen and what is your windows scaling set to?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    200 % which is what windows recommends

ok but it be would less cramped on the screen at a larger size would it not...

with the cintiq, since I am using it as a drawing interface with another [2K] monitor, it is not really an issue - and the cintiq does not exhibit the extremes you are describing [or I am more tolerant to it]

Using the Windows 10 operating system scaling of 175%, I can barely read the Xara fields like Width and Height
    https://iili.io/JaMVTv.png

At 200% the problem becomes far worse.

Yes, a physically larger screen would theoretically help, however only if you manage to lower the scaling as a result. If not just just get the exact same problems with text disappearing from view (as in my screenshot) only larger!

Default Re: What resolution is your screen and what is your windows scaling set to?

as I think I have said before - that misalignment does not happen with my cintiq at 4K and at 200% which is what windows recommends [for my system] - is there any reason that you use 175%, is that what windows recommends for your system ?

[and apart from the misalignment it looks ok to me]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Duplicate.

[how do I delete this?]
    Last edited by shiphen; 05 May 2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Duplicate!

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    I have been using Xara on a 4K AIO 26in display for over 3 years. Here's a snapshot PDF (via a URL as TG can't handle more than 2MB PDFs!) https://initiostar.co.uk/assets/4K%20Xara%2026in.pdf.

Screen resolution set +150%, option to Fix Scaling for Apps set to ON; works for me. I have to change the Xara Zoom sometimes for the detailed work, but the real upside is I can have a 1920 x 1080 page layout in view with space to spare.

There is an option to change the font size of the handles somewhere which I cannot remember right now, but it can be done (Pro v17 so not sure whether all this applies to all).

Gary

Interesting, Gary. Yes, I have "Fix Scaling for Apps" set on too.

Just so that we're all 'on the same page':

A) This is how to set Windows 10 Scaling percent:
    Windows desktop ==> Right click ==> Display Settings ==> Scale and Layout ==> Change Size of Text, Apps and Other Iitems ==> 175% in my case.

B) This is how to set Fix Scaling for Apps to on:
    Windows desktop ==> Right click ==> Display Settings ==> Scale and Layout ==> Advanced Scaling Settings ==> Fix Scaling For Aps ==> Let Windows Try To Fix Apps So They're Not Blurry ==> On

Gary, I hate to have to break it to you after all this time, but what you are doing is leaving the main area of the screen slightly blurry. With a windows scaling of 150% rather than my 175% scaling it will be less pronounced, but it's definitely there!

Here is the difference on my screen.
    A) Having the Xara UI readable, but the main screen area blurred looks like this:

https://iili.io/JaMN4t.png

B) Having the Xara UI illegible but the main screen area pin-sharp looks like this:
    https://iili.io/JaMe3X.png

To get clear the way to change form A) to B) is:
    Xara shortcut icon ==> Right-click ==> Properties ==> Compatibility ==> Change High DPI Settings ==> High DPI Scaling Override ==> [Tick box] ==> Scaling performed by Application

And is a problem for me because I want to see exactly what the final image that will be output looks like - pixel-by-pixel. Also in practice I can save a lot of time by taking small screen shots (in my case using the utility FSCapture - which is excellent btw! - I seem to find myself using it all day long!)

Does that make sense?

J

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    as I think I have said before - that misalignment does not happen with my cintiq at 4K and at 200% which is what windows recommends [for my system] - is there any reason that you use 175%, is that what windows recommends for your system ?

[and apart from the misalignment it looks ok to me]

Handrawn, the reason why I don't use 200% windows scaling is because all the problem at 175% scaling become worse!

e.g. Here is what my screen looks like at 200% scaling: With High DPI turned off the UI becomes TOTALLY illegible.

https://iili.io/JaMmwx.png

OR with High DPI turned off, the UI is legible, but the main screen area is a blurry mess.
    https://iili.io/JaV9nV.png

Nightmare.

J

well we have been round the fix scaling for apps loop before too, though not with gary [as I recall]

I don't use 'fix scaling for apps' btw

bear with me and I'll get some screen shots of the cintiq....
    Nothing lasts forever...

How can any form of scaling that does not involve 100% multiples not soften the original image to some extent?

indeed - like would be simpler [maybe] if pixels were same size both aspects...

what I don't see is the offset [misalignment]

I'm not convinced that offset is actually to do with 4K as such, maybe gary can tell us if he has seen such a thing, but it could be something else in shipen's system

here are my screen shots all with High DPI, [which I don't use], turned off :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4k - 100per.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	126961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4k - 175per.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	126962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4k - 200per.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	126963

yes the UI can be a bit blurry though not as bad as the screen shots make it look, and hey, from my point of view it is perfectly useable

the drawing is more important than the UI, and life is short...
    Nothing lasts forever...

and I tried it with the High dpi on at 200% scaling still no offset

might even be a graphics card issue, or another 'scaling program' in use ....?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hi dpi app 1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	126964

again the screen shot image is not that great resolution-wise...
    Nothing lasts forever...

ah silly me - senior moment - of course I don't see it with a combinaton of 2K/4K monitors connected, it isn't in effect - disconnecting the 2K and rebooting with 4K only there is the offset and yes it is sharper, though not to an extent I would loose sleep over, but if you need it you need it

so once again good luck...
    Nothing lasts forever...