Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4k vs HD

Default Re: 4k vs HD

I'm an animator Paul - I know about resynthesizing stills to produce motion - ok that is not quite the same as your AI point - but extrapolation is extrapolation whichever way you look at it [pun intentional]

resampling is extrapolation, only as good as the algorithm in use; I'll grant there are some damn good ones in play today
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Does your icons on your monitor go any smaller with a 4k monitor,? would love them to be a little smaller so i can fit more in. Especially with photoshop and spreadsheets

Belmare I don't have 4k but in win 10 you can change under Display, change scale and layout you can change the size of text , apps and other items

Dear Xara Designer Pro users,

We’ve heard you!! Our desktop application Xara Designer Pro+ (get more information here and here) is ready to take off into the universe of high resolution

Therefore, we’re in search of volunteers who want to test Designer Pro+ on their 4k monitors or HD Laptops for one week.

When: Testing starts this Thursday, 06/11 - next Thursday 06/18

How: Volunteers will get access to our Designer Pro+ HiDPI beta version. The beta-version has full functionality scope and you can use it the way you use your current Designer Pro version. Whenever you encounter a bug or problem, you can take screenshots and feedback it directly to us.

Interested? PM me here on TG or write an email to: evak@xara.com

We’re looking forward to having you on board!

Thanks,
    Eva

Product Manager @Xara

This is well worth bearing in mind. The resolution that you can percieve is dependant on your eyesight, and the distance from which you're viewing the screen etc. :

https://www.experienceuhd.com/blog/c...n-1080p-and-4k
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    This is well worth bearing in mind. The resolution that you can percieve is dependant on your eyesight, and the distance from which you're viewing the screen etc. :

https://www.experienceuhd.com/blog/c...n-1080p-and-4k
    Or even https://pastebin.com/qNiuPdpW.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have v17 and Beta HiDPI Pro+ side-by-side on a 4K 26in @ 150% mag -reading distance from screen circa 18in-24in.

Not easy to replicate an exact visual, but here is a 300dpi image https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/XaraPr..._XaraPro17.png

Discernible differences as you might expect are crisper images and text. Clearly it is beta and there are a few scaling issues to resolve. Don't expect icon sizes to change, but what is apparent (in some cases) is handles and dialogue boxes look too small.

I made sure the installation was separate from any upgrade and so far, I have been able to open v17 websites/supersites in Pro+ without disasters, and reverse back into v17 to ensure they continue to work at that release level.

The Beta trial ends nexts week, but for me this is worthwhile analysis of what one might expect for real.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    I have v17 and Beta HiDPI Pro+ side-by-side on a 4K 26in @ 150% mag -reading distance from screen circa 18in-24in.
    Not easy to replicate an exact visual, but here is a 300dpi image https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/XaraPr..._XaraPro17.png
    Discernible differences as you might expect are crisper images and text. Clearly it is beta and there are a few scaling issues to resolve. Don't expect icon sizes to change, but what is apparent (in some cases) is handles and dialogue boxes look too small.
    I made sure the installation was separate from any upgrade and so far, I have been able to open v17 websites/supersites in Pro+ without disasters, and reverse back into v17 to ensure they continue to work at that release level.
    The Beta trial ends nexts week, but for me this is worthwhile analysis of what one might expect for real.
    Gary
    Thanks for trying Gary. I sliced out the two and aligned then to run a blink test but the sizing was a bit off.

You can see the text is a tad smaller. I couldn't see much of an improvement with any of the icons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I only see the one paste there, which is a question, maybe if you log in there is more?

as far as the question goes, what arrives on the retina is actually a blurry mess which the brain has to interpret based on experience; new born babies cannot interpret, they have to learn and it is said the first thing they learn to interpret is a face/expression [smiling hopefully]; it takes a while then gathers pace, like walking/talking

as far as the cows are concerned that's down to field of view and the learned context [short answer; long answer is.... long] - but the brain can be fooled off course, eg optical illusions

so yes, the way the viewer's brain/vision works is also a factor in all this - some people do not see in stereo for example because their eyes do not 'work together'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I only see the one paste there, which is a question, maybe if you log in there is more?

as far as the question goes, what arrives on the retina is actually a blurry mess which the brain has to interpret based on experience; new born babies cannot interpret, they have to learn and it is said the first thing they learn to interpret is a face/expression [smiling hopefully]; it takes a while then gathers pace, like walking/talking

as far as the cows are concerned that's down to field of view and the learned context [short answer; long answer is.... long] - but the brain can be fooled off course, eg optical illusions

so yes, the way the viewer's brain/vision works is also a factor in all this - some people do not see in stereo for example because their eyes do not 'work together'
    QEgg's article was it depends on how close you are to seeing a difference: Dougal and Father Ted had the same experience but in a more surreal manner. I am sure there is a YouTube snippet that will explain it all away.

Acorn