Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4k vs HD

Default 4k vs HD

So my monitor is a regular HD connection, not a 4k monitor.
    I went to youtube and played a video and screen grabbed it both at 1080p and 2160p (4k).

Compared it side by side and the 4k one is sharper and cleaner. Why is that? My monitor is not 4k and the screen grab in both is at 96dpi.

Default Re: 4k vs HD

LOL. As they say, sometimes less is more.

The reason it is sharper are there are more pixels per square in on 4K thus the image is crisper..
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

the screen grab in both is at 96dpi
    if you are using a half-decent screen recorder it will capture the video at its native resolution; this is not [necessarily] the same as your screen resolution otherwise both your captures would have been the same

Compared it side by side and the 4k one is sharper and cleaner
    have you ever noticed that if you reduce the size of your player window your video may become clearer, and if you increase it in size it may degrade?

what you are seeing is the same thing in a different way - like scotty said, the more pixels to play with, the better for a given size of playback

the recording, and the playback on a given monitor including as you record, are two seperate things

the term 'screen capture' is misleading here, what you are actually capturing is 'what is being sent to the screen' which may be being sent at a different resolution
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very very tricky guys.

This isn't so relevant to this thread, but handdrawn mentioned degradation..

In January we bought our first 4K TV set - 55 inches, an update from our previous set which was HD - 43 inches. My daughter has a 55" 4K TV too. Quite a change from the widescreen 20" TV we used to love back in the day!

My daughter's partner had said that since buying that set he rarely wanted to watch non-HD content (besides 4K content), so I wondered if we would also dislike upscaling lower quality video to 4K.

I'm actually very impressed by how well the TV does to upscale video - it's processing the frames in real-time.

I've noticed it can recognise text and sharpens it so sometimes I've really been surprised at the crisp text that has no right to be so crisp on that source resolution.

I should think that in a few years time lower resolution footage is going to look great as AI processing will be able to interpret the footage to give much sharper pictures.

I have some 4K films and it was a WOW moment when I saw it.

Unlike my daughters partner, I don't mind the lower quality of old TV/films, but will go for at least HD if given the choice. I was looking forward to Wimbledon in 4K..

..diversion is over..

I am just looking forward to wimbledon, not really a tennis fan, but if/when it happens then things will be on the mend...

like behzad said - its a tricky subject... if You have a really expensive computer monitor, say at 4K native resolution, and you drop the resolution down to HD [1080p] then it will still look pretty good; but a cheap monotor will not

it sounds like you have a good TV

[as you may have noticed my implied point is - is the TV upscaling your video, or is it downscaling its resolution to match....]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I am just looking forward to wimbledon, not really a tennis fan, but if/when it happens then things will be on the mend...

like behzad said - its a tricky subject... if You have a really expensive computer monitor, say at 4K native resolution, and you drop the resolution down to HD [1080p] then it will still look pretty good; but a cheap monotor will not

it sounds like you have a good TV

[as you may have noticed my implied point is - is the TV upscaling your video, or is it downscaling its resolution to match....]
    LOL definitely not downscaled!

I sometimes take a picture from some TV programes because I want to keep a still reference. On every TV besides this one there's been a moire pattern - it's not present on the 4K set.

Here's the sales blurb:

• 4K UHD Processor: Powerful 4K UHD Processor Optimizes Your TV’s Performance by Upscaling Every Show, Season, and Scene With 4K Picture Quality
    • Enhanced Detail with HDR: 4K Depth of Detail with High Dynamic Range Lets You See Shades of Color That Reveal More Detail than Hdtv Can Deliver

It's the top of the range of cheaper Samsung TVs.

Super pleased with it. I think the range has been superceeded in 2020 by the 8000 range.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhdtv...E55RU7400UXXU/

there is a universal law that you cannot make a slik purse out of a sow's ear - that you cannot enhance beyond what is actually there....

what the TV is doing is overlaying the 1080p onto the 4K - now that is not downscaling in one sense, but it could be seen that way in another

the increase in the number of pixels that the 1080p source can use is a bonus.. but you are still just seeing 1080p, stretched neatly onto a 4k platform so to speak - the subtlety that a 4K original would have is not there because it never was
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

there is a universal law that you cannot make a slik purse out of a sow's ear - that you cannot enhance beyond what is actually there....
    In the future that's not going to be entirely true because I expect at some stage to see AI processing working to such a degree as to go beyond pixel manipulation, but also shape recognition to resynthesize an image to what it thinks it should be. Of course, if there is no way of recognising what's on the screen it can't do that but I do expect it will synthesize say a chair leg using the low-res version to show a high-res equivalent - a bit like reading a fuzzy number plate and substituting a sharp one.

what the TV is doing is overlaying the 1080p onto the 4K - now that is not downscaling in one sense, but it could be seen that way in another

the increase in the number of pixels that the 1080p source can use is a bonus.. but you are still just seeing 1080p, stretched neatly onto a 4k platform so to speak - the subtlety that a 4K original would have is not there because it never was
    Hmm.

First of all I never claimed that "stretched" HD is equivalent to 4K.

The TV is doing rather more than using four pixels in place of one. It's resampling the image.

I'm not going to have an argument about it, the picture looks far better on the 4K set than it did on my old HD one and that's even true for the older SD resolution.