Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

there is a universal law that you cannot make a slik purse out of a sow's ear - that you cannot enhance beyond what is actually there....
In the future that's not going to be entirely true because I expect at some stage to see AI processing working to such a degree as to go beyond pixel manipulation, but also shape recognition to resynthesize an image to what it thinks it should be. Of course, if there is no way of recognising what's on the screen it can't do that but I do expect it will synthesize say a chair leg using the low-res version to show a high-res equivalent - a bit like reading a fuzzy number plate and substituting a sharp one.

what the TV is doing is overlaying the 1080p onto the 4K - now that is not downscaling in one sense, but it could be seen that way in another

the increase in the number of pixels that the 1080p source can use is a bonus.. but you are still just seeing 1080p, stretched neatly onto a 4k platform so to speak - the subtlety that a 4K original would have is not there because it never was
Hmm.

First of all I never claimed that "stretched" HD is equivalent to 4K.

The TV is doing rather more than using four pixels in place of one. It's resampling the image.

I'm not going to have an argument about it, the picture looks far better on the 4K set than it did on my old HD one and that's even true for the older SD resolution.