Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Most all of the Patterns, (in the many pattern libraries) in Painter, are tileable, and can be used as background fills in artwork, or webpage backgrounds.

For instant webpage backgrounds, go to Art Materials/Patterns and pick a pattern. Then choose Check Out Pattern. (This is found by clicking the word Pattern in Painter5, or the down triangle to the right of Pattern in Painter6). Save As .gif or .jpg to drop in your web page.

If the Pattern is too large or small for you, move the Scale slider at the bottom of Pattern(s), and hit Check Out Pattern again.

To create your own seamless patterns, open up a File/New canvas of say 150 x 150. In the same drop down menu as above, pick Define Pattern, then pick a brush and start painting till you have something you like. Notice how your brush will wrap around to the other side of the canvas if you go over the edges.
    Now, just to check things out, pick the Grabber (hand) in the Tools pallete, and holding the Shift key down, click and drag in your image.

Although it takes time and doesn't always look so great, you can load an image that IS NOT seamless, Define Pattern, Shift drag with the Grabber, and smear, smudge, distort, blend the seams by hand.

My personal favorites for web backgrounds are the subtle use of Papers. For a tutorial on this check out Making Paper textured Backgrounds by Denise Laurent

Have fun, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    BR......

[This message was edited by BR on September 17, 2000 at 02:33 PM.]
    IP

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:06 PM.]
    IP

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:05 PM.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hi Rose,
    I see your going to love working with textures and papers as much as I do.
    Where did you save that rose texture? Did you know you could save it as a pattern in your open pattern library by Select/All (Shift+A) then Capture Pattern in the drop down menu, (click small down triangle-P6, word Pattern-P5). Or save it as a grey scale Paper by doing the same. Of course, works best with seamless images. More info on this in Help/Art Materials/Using Patterns-Paper/Capturing.

And DO watch out for those big hairy scary brushes! You know, those are really my biggest fear [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I guess I've been blessed over the years in running Painter on Win 95', 98', & NT, with hardly any problems, But, push a slider in the brush contols too far with some brushes, and Painter will surely freeze on me.

Keep at it!
    BR.....
    IP