Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Newbie Questioning Usability of Web Designer Premium

I just downloaded the trial version of this prog after long experience of other WSYIWYG progs such as MS FrontPage and more recently Serif WebPlus, it doesn't look at all well organised. Having asked one question of them already, it seems that under Magix 'customer support' you can only ask additional q's AFTER the previous one is answered, but I don't have the luxury of twiddling my thumbs for a few days. So, can you please help me with a couple of queries?

I am 'lost' without any clear view of the website structure. How on earth do you decide which are parent and which are child pages, and if so can you re-organise them? In common with most progs, the 'help' facility is almost as useful as a chocolate teapot unless you already have the Xara-specific 'lingo'.

It is very weird to find there isn't even a demo website to practise on (the rudimentary page offered as an intro is laughably simplistic) and if I try to compile anything from the templates it bars me from access unless I buy the prog. Is there a 'free sample' written website I have missed, which I can access and play with?

In passing, note I also find the screen extremely cluttered so I have to add to the price of the prog at least 200 quid for a big screen - is this expected?

Unhappy, confused and thinking about re-instating the comprehensive MS FrontPage again together with a dedicated server.

Default Re: Newbie Questioning Usability of Web Designer Premium

Learning any new program always requires some time.

There are not child pages as such though in the Page and Layer Gallery on the right side of the page, you can drag and drop pages to a new order.

Create all the pages for the site.

You create sub-pages in the Nav Bar menu. Click the + next to the page to which you want to add child pages to.

In any Xara menu, click on Help for context sensitive options for that particular function.

Also, with any tool selected, press F1 for a menu of instructions and options for that specific tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Add Menu Item.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	126884  

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will explore navbar properties in detail, to see whether I can cope with this. I do realise all pages are in the same directory and I can see their relationship is decided by the menu system. I see the problem is actually physical presentation of the 'tree'. In what I do, 'child' pages are fairly fluid in content, more child pages need to be added regularly - but the worst thing is I decide to re-organise the relationships fairly often! Anyway, thank you.

Hi Mike,

I think MS Frontpage is now discontinued? I used to use it way back in the day.

I doubt a 20" screen is required, but that would be your choice.

As Gary says working with a new program is always going to need some investment in time.

You've come to the right place to ask questions.

Good luck.

Paul

NetObjects Fusion which I started using in the late 90s I think, had an org chart like tree which was great for organizing a site. Especially a large complex site. I quite using NOF when Xara introduced web design capability because I could do everything in one program (I use Designer Pro X which has the same web features as Web Designer but a lot of print and graphic features as well).

Hi Mike, there are some good video tutorial on you tube that may help you grasp the main points of building a site using Xara.

For example try:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mu...CB7993AEEC04CD
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Just to chime in with the others. I started using WDP in 2014, after doing trials on several other options including SerifWebPlus. For flexibility and cost, I found Xara’s software the best. It took me about four months, starting from less-than-zero to having a site on the web. It’s definitely possible to do it much faster, but I didn’t want to use a template, and I wanted to understand what was happening… so the time includes learning design principles, writing copy, a lot of research into SEO, finding a hosting service and a domain, etc., etc.

You’ll spend some time getting used to the differences between WDP and the programs you’ve been using, but if you use the next month of the free trial learning it, you’ll see that you can do a lot with it that the others don’t allow.

By the way, for questions about using the program, come to talkgraphics. The experts are here. (I am NOT speaking of myself, but of others who are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable). Consult customer support when you need to know about billing.