Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara P&DG v17 Page Size Accuracy

When set to "Inches" ... the level of accuracy is limited to 2 decimal places. For example, I prep a lot of business cards for printing at 300dpi on Heildelberg presses. With bleed, the page size MUST be fixed at 3.625" x 2.125" which Xara rounds up to 3.63" x 2.13" ... which the press operators must manually correct before submitting the job. Is there any way to increase the size to 3 decimal places?

I have tried to convert the "Inches" to "Pixels" at 300dpi, which equals 1087.5px x 737.5px but in so doing, the resolution seems to create other problems.

Is there a solution to this problem that will make the press operators happier? They prefer "Inches" to other measures.

Don

Default Re: Xara P&DG v17 Page Size Accuracy

Hi Don,
    Search for "Millipoints" in the Help file.
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    Hi Don,
    Search for "Millipoints" in the Help file.
    Fred, I recall this was raised a few years back and PhilM advised to change the Windows Numbers Format.

In W10, I just used Control Panel > Clock and Region > Region > Formats > Additional Settings > Numbers > Number of digits after decimal: set to 3.

On opening my XDA, yards, feet & inches, metres & centimetres were good to 3 dp; mm & pixels were to 1 dp. Interesting miles and kilometres failed to display.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

its a windows thing, the decimal point accuracy, so I go with Phil's advice as per acorn's post
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I worked out why km and mi were failing.

My shapes were just too small to render.
    You need to apply a scaling factor to make it all hang together (e.g., 5cm = 1 mi).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

that makes sense
    Nothing lasts forever...

There's no need to change the number of decimal points, which tends to mess up the UI slightly.

Just type in your page size to 3 decimal places, and the same for any other object. Xara retains the size to 3 decimal places but rounds it to 2 in the display boxes only.

Here's an attachment that if you export as svg and reopen in inkscape shows the correct sizes are maintained as 3 decimal places. Perhaps someone can try to see if it's the same as a pdf export,. I can't see this information in Adobe Reader.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	126883  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

yes...but... when it does internal calculations thenceforth, to what decimal point does it then calculate is the obvious question - the one set in windows I'm guessing
    Last edited by handrawn; 28 April 2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Acrobat and Adobe Reader can/does lie to the user and does not display past 2 decimals (at least to my knowledge).

I've never had the issue with any size pdf from an Xara application. While most every print establishment I use desires 0.125" bleed even for biz cards, a few have wanted less or to build the page size so it included the bleed size.

So here is a screen shot without bleed built-in. Acrobat does round up. But if one gets the actual box sizes, it is accurate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pg-size-set-wo-bleed.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	126885

With bleed built-in:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pg-size-set-w-bleed.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	126886

Now, I'm uncertain whether the OP built the bleed into the page or not. But either way, Xara applications output accurately.

It sounds to me like some pressman is making a big deal out of nothing. The difference is so thin I really do not see the problem.