Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: E-commerce

Default E-commerce

There is not a day that goes by without someone not asking about the e-commerce features in xara or how one can connect to what is out there like Ecwid. If Xara is focusing their future upgrades on the web side of things then I would suggest some sort of direction/instruction that is in the xara user guides.

Default Re: E-commerce

bezhad, I appreciate the sentiment but the Xara generator only delivers static websites using HTML, CSS & JS. They can then be run from anywhere.
    Integrating e-Commerce requires a server, a mechanism to record state and probably a full-blown CSS.

Now it is possible to design systems with state, without a server, but you are getting into coding and the Xara delivery is cleverly not in that domain.
    Its solution was to allow third-party widgets to be added. The problem is, which one should Xara focus on? Choosing one over the other is difficult and doing all is expensive.

I am more than willing to accept commissions to integrate almost anything as I have mostly done them but it would have to be paid work as there are so many additions a designer's Customer needs or expects that make generic solutions too limited.

Acorn
    Third-Party Widget Integrator for Xara Desktop Applications for Hire
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn. It is good to know that we can rely on your expertise when needed. I forgot Xtom's program as well. Waiting on him to do all of us a video demo.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Thank you Acorn. It is good to know that we can rely on your expertise when needed. I forgot Xtom's program as well. Waiting on him to do all of us a video demo.
    Hi behzad, don’t wait for others, try Ecwid on your own, it’s free for a small number of products. I did it some 3 years ago just to see how it can be done and I only do websites as a hobby for family, friends and some new businesses to help them get started up. I was able to put up the store on my Xara test site and on the Ecwid site. The support you will get from Ecwid is free and excellent and you’ll probably have fun doing it.

Roly

I think Behzad has a point here.

Even though Xara doesn't explicitly support e-commerce functionality, it would do no harm to show an example of how an e-commerce solution can be integrated with a static website.

We all understand the shortcomings of a static website but Xara why not take that extra step and show how a static site can be integrated with an e-commerce solution?

Info cwid fluffRe: E-commerce

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think Behzad has a point here.
    Even though Xara doesn't explicitly support e-commerce functionality, it would do no harm to show an example of how an e-commerce solution can be integrated with a static website.
    We all understand the shortcomings of a static website but Xara why not take that extra step and show how a static site can be integrated with an e-commerce solution?
    I have to disagree.

Xara has done NOTHING to develop any of the third-party widgets (TPW) since each was created.
    I personally believe the developer was either Charles Moir himself or the developer has long departed with all the tacit knowledge of integrating .XWR files gone with them.
    It is relative easy to recode TWPs and I have asked Xara for the schema, of which I have reverse-engineered (naughty me) 90% of how it hangs together. I wonder if you might know Xara's response?

Take the case of Ecwid.

The E-commerce Website / Starter Site and around 9 other major Ecwid updates have passed Xara by. Its TPW goes to http://webdesigner.xara.com/widgets/ecwid.htm, where the link is insecure (http://) and the detail is stale:
    • The Register link in insecure and well off.
    • The Generate Code is wrong - <noscript>Your browser does not support JavaScript. Please proceed to <a href="http://app.ecwid.com/jsp/123456/catalog">HTML version of Sam Spade's</a></noscript>

Why therefore would you trust Xara to provide any guidance?

When it comes to integration, the Xara TPW code fails to work across Variants (no surprise) and you only can view one Shop in one of the Variants, period.

My usual fallback is to create an Embed a Website Widget (a Xara TPW) but as this is buggy you need to know your way around. The essence is you use an IFRAME to the Instant Store instead.

In the Ecwid case, the code is simpler:
    Code:
    <iframe src="https://store0000000.ecwid.com" style="height:100%; width:100%; overflow:auto; "><noscript>Your browser does not support JavaScript. Please proceed to <a href="https://store0000000.ecwid.com">HTML version of Sam Spade's Store</a></noscript>
    </iframe>
    You then add to each Variant and resize the Placeholder to suit.

All the other detail is Ecwid fluff around the presentation for your products.
    All this occurs in Ecwid land.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: cwid fluffRe: E-commerce

Good conversation guys.