Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bug New Paragraph Background & Border - FAIL

Dear Xara...

Bug - adding a Paragraph Background and / or a Paragraph Border causes a pop-up link to a layer with such a text block so set.

Xara-Paragraph Background & Border Pop-up FAILs.xar

I am concerned that even simple testing of new features is ruining old functions all too often.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: New Paragraph Background & Border - FAIL

Totally agree Acorn, not only does the text with a fill & border not show on the pop-up but NOTHING on any pop-up layer with either/or a Fill/Border displays. Straight text or an image.
    I attach an amended file as you know I'm more graphically orientated
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cheers Egg.

I knew of the other FAILs like Text Background but I want Xara to acknowledge then be advised of the magnitude of the FAIL of its development & text cycle.

It makes a mockery of the "fall-back" approach when there are generations of elephants in the room.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

By applying the old trick (learnt from animated pop-ups), if you first create the popup on the MouseOff Layer, copy and paste it to the pop-up layer, it works. Another workaround that should not be necessary!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Popup Text Background-Border Workaround.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	126824

@Acorn:the number of issues you have found in v17.0 suggests (to me at least) it was released without serious regression testing, added to which what has been introduced seems to fail too. v17 IMO was a poorly conceived and badly executed marketing initiative (enough said). Is there a full list of all the v17 issues?

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    By applying the old trick (learnt from animated pop-ups), if you first create the popup on the MouseOff Layer, copy and paste it to the pop-up layer, it works. Another workaround that should not be necessary!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Popup Text Background-Border Workaround.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	126824

@Acorn:the number of issues you have found in v17.0 suggests (to me at least) it was released without serious regression testing, added to which what has been introduced seems to fail too. v17 IMO was a poorly conceived and badly executed marketing initiative (enough said). Is there a full list of all the v17 issues?

Gary
    Gary, thank you for your solutions. +++

Quite sad really.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dear Xara...

Bug - adding a Paragraph Background and / or a Paragraph Border causes a pop-up link to a layer with such a text block so set.

Xara-Paragraph Background & Border Pop-up FAILs.xar

I am concerned that even simple testing of new features is ruining old functions all too often.

Acorn
    I am not sure I understand. The original comment said attempting a Para Bk /Para Border color causes a pop-up link. I can add a background color to a text block with the right-click menu but I don't see a pop-up added to the layout. Is the issue one of trying to add a background to an existing pop-up or that the right-click addition of a background creates an unwanted pop-up? Trying to duplicate the fail. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    I am not sure I understand. The original comment said attempting a Para Bk /Para Border color causes a pop-up link. I can add a background color to a text block with the right-click menu but I don't see a pop-up added to the layout. Is the issue one of trying to add a background to an existing pop-up or that the right-click addition of a background creates an unwanted pop-up? Trying to duplicate the fail. Thanks.
    Dan, I had a Pop-up Layer to which I added a text block then its background, as depicted in my example file.

I did say "a pop-up link to a layer with such a text block", which I thought was clear as to the action and the order.

Acorn

As I understand it, we want to create text link (or any object) such that when you roll over the link a text box pops-up and that we want to add a border and/or background to that text box. That can be done using the instructions in the Help file. Where the program "fails" is trying to house the pop-up text box in the MouseOver layer. If it is located in a New Layer then rolling over the trigger text (or object) will pop-up the neatly bordered and background text box. Assigning the Pop-up Layer works when it is done using the MouseOver tab in Web Animation and the Link tab in Web Properties menu. Also, the MouseOver Layer is not an option on the Show Pop Up Layer or Pop Up Layer in the MouseOver tab or Link tab, respectively. The trigger object can be located in the MouseOff Layer. I modified your submitted file to better illustrate what I have described here. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DanFelix; 19 April 2020 at 10:49 PM.

After playing a little more, it seems adding any effect to the pop-up halts the pop-up. Only the Instant effect revealed the pop-up. This was not the case for an effect on the trigger object. Curious.

Thumbs down Re: New Paragraph Background & Border - FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    After playing a little more, it seems adding any effect to the pop-up halts the pop-up. Only the Instant effect revealed the pop-up. This was not the case for an effect on the trigger object. Curious.
    Thanks Dan.

We seem to be doing Xara's job here.

Not curious, sloppy.

Acorn