Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corner Tool

Default Corner Tool

Look Xara guys, this is the kind of new Vector tools we need in Xara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN9vLYRbHWY

I have been using Xara for years and I have started a small sign cutting business (vinyl foils), which requires all corners of graphics to be rounded off.

I have just bought Affinity Designer (at 1/3 of the price of Xara) just to get the time saving corner tool. It actually looks like AD is more than a little 'inspired by' Xara and if I don't run into problems using it I might switch over completely as they are developing the vector drawing tools a lot more than Xara has done in the last many versions.

/JimR

Default Re: Corner Tool

I couldn't agree more Jim. I believe the majority of TG members are quite long in the tooth now, I'm 72, and we stick with Xara no longer as the best vector program but as something like an old pull-over we're comfortable in. We know the keyboard shortcuts and the multitude of menu items, and can't be arsed to learn the multi-options in new software.

Your example is a case in point. I have a friend who creates vinyl images. He prints them directly from a very old copy of Xara I gave him years ago, directly to an equally old Roland Vinyl Cutter. Occasionally if he finds an image to hard to produce himself he will ask me to create one for him.

Problems invariably arise with hard corners and I often spend long period rounding these corners to get a clean cut.

How much better if Xara had AD's rounding function. So easy to use, not even a global rounding, but individual rounding per node if required.

Here's an image of a train I created in Xara, exported as an svg, imported into AD, rounded and re-exported to svg for import into Xara. (which has sizing issues!) Oh, if we could just do it all within Xara.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	126823  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

my latest vinyl foil creation, not really should what to do with it....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anmærkning 2020-04-19 154225.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	126826

JimR

Info Re: Corner Tool

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    my latest vinyl foil creation, not really should what to do with it....

Name:	Anmærkning 2020-04-19 154225.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	126826

JimR
    Jim, you play it!

@Egg - for square corners I played around with some shims:

Xara - Corner Shims.xar

These are 128px so I just scale down 50% repeatedly to get to 1px, if needed.
    I butt the solid shape into interior corners and Add Shapes.
    I position the winged line onto outer corners and Slice.

Doesn't help with harder curves but I also play with a 1-step outer Round join Contour and play with its Shape controls.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Fine Acorn, but a workaround still. Jim's point was why can't Xara do this natively I think?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Jim already has the best workaround for this - it's called Affinity Designer - always use the best tool for the job if you can
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Fine Acorn, but a workaround still. Jim's point was why can't Xara do this natively I think?
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Jim already has the best workaround for this - it's called Affinity Designer - always use the best tool for the job if you can
    What I was trying to do was encourage a designer debate.
    Those were pre-AD ideas I had for an intractable Xara problem.

'Show & Tell' is a powerful way of documenting an issue to Xara, which as a counterpoint to Serif's AD might spark it into action.
    Asking for Feature X of Product Y is never going to stir it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm afraid that there is probably nothing to jolt Xara from its torpor, unless a few thousand volts could do the trick.
    To all intents and purposes, Xara is dead, it has ceased to be...etc, etc.

Affinity is the future (and it's very cheap, too)
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Seems the spark is missing

Name:	Groenekast2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	126840

For what little it may be worth, an accurate and easy circular corner rounding tool/function is what I most would like to see in a future version of PGD.