Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: XD16, and XD17 trial SVG import issue

Handrawn, while I was out on my exercise walk this morning, I thought that there may be a registry key that might disable, or amend the behaviour of that function. I'm still going to look at that, but one thing I note is that this policy makes XD16/17 non SVG-compliant because it ignores the viewBox, which provides the SVG's clipview/scale/panning settings. That said, I don't know that Xara have ever claimed that it was SVG compliant, but half-hearted or broken support for an international vector standard might not make for a good look for a vector-based app, I think. As I said in my previous comment, making it an option that the user can accept or refuse would solve that problem, and it would certainly help me, and I can't see that that would disadvantage anyone.

SVG also has currency as a medium of file transfers between drawing apps, and adhering to the relevant standards is important, and not doing so undermines that currency.

While we're at it, I'd like an option to choose which unit the SVG export will use, because having to manually convert pt to cm and vice versa on a calculator to verify my SVGs is depressing!

Mike

Xara has never been SVG compliant - I don't think xara has ever been standard[s] compliant in anything oher than in it's own way of doing things.. I understand it's HTML generation code is 'interesting' but others would have to confirm that one way or the other

I am at least glad I can export vector in PDF to Harmony, or for others to use in Illustrator; I don't do engineering, but I do animation, and that needs precision as well

The code base for the desktop program is long in the tooth... sometimes I wonder if there is anyone still in the company that truely understands it all in detail....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just can't understand the need to resize everything to 300px up or down. Why? If I import an svg I know how to resize it to a size that suits my requirements. Same-same is if I import a huge bitmap.

Sods law of course the rectangle I chose to use as an example just happened to be 300px!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I checked the manual - as far as I can see this automatic resizing should apply only to OCC stock illustrations - there is no mention of it applying to vectors imported from elsewhere, nor should it in a 'PRO' design program...

so in that respect [leaving aside the OCC where there might be a case for it] I'd say it's a bug.. quite possibly yet more unintended consequence of change elsewhere....

Sods law of course the rectangle I chose to use as an example just happened to be 300px!
    Nothing lasts forever...

Egg, it's also just plain rude. Whoever created the original SVG artworks in their Stock Illustrations didn't set their dimensions at random, the authors chose a size they deemed appropriate and suitable to the content, and we are talking about people with skills and talent for the most part, but Xara has overruled them to choose an arbitrary and irrelevant 300px, deeming that Xara users can easily amend the size themselves. And indeed they can but whatever size they come up with may not be what the original author intended, and in the case of SVGs like mine, the exact original size is the only appropriate one, and nobody else but me would know what that size was supposed to be without examining the SVG file itself.

I know that SVGs are meant to be re-scalable, but that doesn't mean that all scales are equally useful or appropriate; for many SVGs the actual scale used might not matter much at all, but it's wrong to think that it never matters.

At best Xara could take the view that they are showing a large thumbnail of the original, but to not offer the original sized version as an option could be seen as thoughtless and inconsiderate.

On a related matter I note that Xara17 is now treating things like 'rotation' of objects as specific attributes of an object, so selecting an object will show its current rotation state in the rotate field in the infobar. If you export it as an SVG it now contains the rotation information;

rect x="-113.385" y="-113.385" width="226.771" height="226.771" transform="translate(131.216 695.164) rotate(90)" This is an 8cm blue square but the units are pt as are all Xara SVG exports.

(Xara, I would like to choose the export unit, pretty please, or at least have it use the current user unit.)

This was from my sizing experiments in Xara17 a day or two ago. I'm still tweaking my SVGKam SVG loader code, and having this kind of stuff in them is useful for making sure my code is robust enough to handle them properly.

Mike

Edit: Ha, just saw Handrawn's crosspost! Egg's 300px came I think from his video where he used my 2nd ship counter which of course was the 300px resized SVG import of my original smaller ship counter.

Good point about the dimensions not being set at random in the OCC... I don't use it, but from that point of view it is just as bad a practice as outside of the OCC
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's just wrong on ALL counts as far as I can see.

There is NO reason why the program, should resize anything to whatever size. There's no reason why the end user can't be relied upon to use their own judgement for final sizing.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

those of us who use the program to create vector asset/drawings/designs may well think this way - but it is not the way xara think it seems...

lets look at this:

Quote Originally Posted by xara manual
    Because the original vector files vary enormously in size, graphics larger than around 300px are scaled down.
    patronising - just like the 'squish'
    Nothing lasts forever...

This really shouldn't be the way a PROFESSIONAL GRAPHIC DESIGN APPLICATION thinks. If it was just WEB DESIGNER, I could understand it, but I have no idea what the programmers thoughts (or lack of) are here.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sadly, i don't think they actually care, based on passed experience
    Nothing lasts forever...