My main question is link population on the client side. I would prefer to just upload the group of video files for an event to a folder and have the database software populate all of the videos in the client app.
IMO Xara is great for creating static websites; with the help of additional coding you can achieve more, but if you are thinking database and client app in the same sentence, you are headed towards a purpose-designed app.

1. The start point from earlier in this thread is you collect payment and send out a DVD.

2. Next step could easily be upload an Event folder to Drive, OneDrive or even Google Photos etc. and share that folder with those who have paid for it; with Google Photos you can create an Video Album where the layout shows all the videos in that album; simple and works well.

3. You can create a 'website' to showcase your collection (ref. Acorn's appetiser). This could have a promo video for each of your events; each event could have a password protected page. On that page you could either have a list/thumbnail of the videos in that collection; a viewing window that would play a selected video or a link to each of the videos in that collection. You would require coding: where you have a single viewing window (to enable you to call each video) and where you have more than one video in a collection on that page, starting one has to pause/stop the other playing (video and sound).

CRM is not an area I am well versed in
You don't need CRM to do the above; you might want a simple form to capture and alert you to visitor interest though.

Hopefully this helps.