Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Reducing image size when it's shared across variants

So guys, when optimizing within xara reduces file size of the images but does it mess with image quality? If so then when we output to web, it also changes the image quality once again? Two times? All this could have been avoided if Xara allowed us to optimize our images outside of xara and output to web as we wished untouched/virgin

So guys, when optimizing within xara reduces file size of the images but does it mess with image quality?
    Yes, it does it reduces the image in Xara from a 300ppi image for example to a 192ppi image. But this is what occurs anyway if you've resized the large image. On publishing it creates either 96ppi image or a 192ppi image if using HiRes images on the site.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So it screws up the clarity of the image twice.

I don't think it screws up the clarity twice Behzad, just once when optomising the image from xxxpx to 192px. From there it just gets exported with all the same clarity.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Dear Egg, but if from 190 it goes down to 96 dpi for the web, for sure it is doing it again. As a result image quality reduces with size.

If you have a 600ppi image in your xara web page and reduce it to a size required to display on your webpage, Xara, on publishing will create a 96ppi version of this image. If you select to also upload Retina images it exports that same 600ppi image but at 192 ppi.

So if you optimise that 600ppi image it's saved within the .xar file aa a 192ppi image. It will create two images, one at 96ppi and one at 192ppi.

Further if you use the same image within a mobile variant, reduced in size, it will create two more smaller images at 96ppi and one at 192ppi.

There will be no further degradation beyond that point.
    Egg

Thanks Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If you have a 600ppi image in your xara web page and reduce it to a size required to display on your webpage, Xara, on publishing will create a 96ppi version of this image. If you select to also upload Retina images it exports that same 600ppi image but at 192 ppi.

So if you optimise that 600ppi image it's saved within the .xar file aa a 192ppi image. It will create two images, one at 96ppi and one at 192ppi.

Further if you use the same image within a mobile variant, reduced in size, it will create two more smaller images at 96ppi and one at 192ppi.

There will be no further degradation beyond that point.
    Thanks Egg, that’s good to know.

Hi all,
    Back after two weeks of cr*(py migraines. Thanks for all the help. I've reduced my images and even deleted a few but I'm still getting that weird issue where, despite what someone showed on a video clip screenshot of my mobile variant in action, still is showing up weirdly on both my friend's iphone and on mine. We've cleared history and I've republished it multiple times. I still get big blank spaces where images should be and even some of my text isn't formated properly (as a 'click here' button). I've no idea what's going on but the site looks poor in mobile format right now and everything looks fine on Chrome at 'mobile' size when viewed on my desktop. I've no idea what's going on and had hoped that reducing the images used/removing some would really help.
    www.historicedinburghtours.co.uk if anyone has any further suggestions? Much appreciated as always.

As you have reworked and tested so much, you need to clear your browser cache with Ctrl+F5.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat