Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to produce A4 Landscape Folded Brochure 30 Plus Pages

Actually this may be even easier. If you produce the document as 30 separate pages, then ask the printer to print as a brochure, it will do the thinking for you, and arrange the pages as necessary.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sorry Keith, are you talking about a printer as youd have at home or a printer that runs a commercial printing company?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Imposed documents need to be in multiples of 4 pages. The export needs to be as single pages.

If printing to a desktop type printer, Adobe Reader--or just about any pdf reader--can print the single page pdfs as a booklet. It's usually less expensive to just take the pdf as single pages to a quick/office print establishment and have them print and bind it. If one has a bit larger, office type printer, they usually have an in-built booklet print function that again, uses a pdf exported as single pages.

If one is going to be imposing often enough, it usually pays to buy and use an imposition application to account for the folded paper thickness (creep). If one is only going to use letter or A4, there's even a free, good imposition application (Windows only) available. That, along with a creaser (or a folding machine), a capable stapler and shear, one can crank out booklets at a good pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Actually this may be even easier. If you produce the document as 30 separate pages, then ask the printer to print as a brochure, it will do the thinking for you, and arrange the pages as necessary.
    Actually I will be producing in batches of 16 pages, stapling and then binding. I will guillotine any creep. There could be be 10 batches of 16 pages, I did not explain well enough at the beginning.

My true interest is the production of the pages, writing text and inserting images and the continuous write-up from page to page. Also the editing ability when you insert text etc in an existing page for it to insert and move the storey along in a logical manner. The printing seems incredibly complex which appears to be the main thrust of discussions. My printer prints double sided which suits the production of the brochure that I produce.

Once again I love the page construction of Xara that I have used for a number of year with WEB Designer, I would like to use this in Desk Top Publishing but it is getting very complicated from what I read from you. I was hoping that someone would point me to a template that would let me achieve this. I appreciate all the effort that goes into your replies. At the moment Microsoft Publisher is still the front runner.

Regards Terry

Quote Originally Posted by golfertel View Post
    I will guillotine any creep.
    If the contents aren't adjusted wouldn't this mean that pages on the outside will have a wider margin to the edge of the paper than pages on the inside?

That would make it look untidy/unprofessional. If this is some newsletter I guess it doesn't matter.

I will guillotine any creep.
    Said the father of two daughters during the French Revolution.

I like it.

Actually I will be producing in batches of 16 pages, stapling and then binding. I will guillotine any creep. There could be be 10 batches of 16 pages, I did not explain well enough at the beginning.

My true interest is the production of the pages, writing text and inserting images and the continuous write-up from page to page. Also the editing ability when you insert text etc in an existing page for it to insert and move the storey along in a logical manner. The printing seems incredibly complex which appears to be the main thrust of discussions. My printer prints double sided which suits the production of the brochure that I produce. ...
    Then you are doing 16 page signatures for a book to eventually be 160+ pages? What you describe isn't how signatures are made, binding is going to be a problem and page creep is too.

I've made books by hand through the binding and cover process for fun before. So I don't want to discourage anyone from doing it. But it is a lot of work I personally have reserved for special occasions--3 times in 31 years.

It will generally come out easier/better if you just use a commercial service, even a POD.

Thanks for reply. I don't understand what you mean by "signatures". An honest answer. However you still have to compose the pages as I described and that is not what I'm be able to achieve in Xara, unless you are going to tell me differently. I have to admit that I'm now also looking at Affinity Publisher which seems interesting. Maybe I should not say that on here but while we are being honest.
    Depending on your answer I think I should close this thread.

Regards Terry

Text flow is quite simple on an 8 page leaflet but I think going beyond 8 pages would become quite cumbersome. I attach a working template.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 11 April 2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host