Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to produce A4 Landscape Folded Brochure 30 Plus Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post

Quote Originally Posted by golfertel View Post
    I will guillotine any creep.
    Said the father of two daughters during the French Revolution.
    it's the only way to get ahead.....

I can recommend affinity publisher; that said I have nothing to add to what's already been said on the actual process

[xara page and layout is effectively dead, hasn't been updated for years]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by golfertel View Post
    Thanks for reply. I don't understand what you mean by "signatures". An honest answer. However you still have to compose the pages as I described and that is not what I'm be able to achieve in Xara, unless you are going to tell me differently. I have to admit that I'm now also looking at Affinity Publisher which seems interesting. Maybe I should not say that on here but while we are being honest.
    Depending on your answer I think I should close this thread.

Regards Terry
    Maybe I misunderstood the following:
    Actually I will be producing in batches of 16 pages, stapling and then binding.
    The 16 pages that you intend to staple, if they are part of a larger volume, say your 10 16 page booklets, those 16 page sections are called signatures.

A book is designed in reading order from the first to last page. That is then output to pdf as single pages in that same reading order. If you want to print this yourself, then just use Adobe Reader and set it the print as a booklet and it will rearrange the pages properly as long as there are 4 page increments to the pdf. So 4, 8, 12, 16 and so on number of pages.

Creep isn't just the fact that as you insert folded pages inside each other, the page edges advance outward. The content that is on those pages also do. Creep settings in imposition software uses one of 3 different means to account for that (1) inner page content can be automatically moved inwards half the thickness of the paper on each sheet (2) the reverse, outer page content can be moved outwards half the thickness of the paper on each sheet or (3) a combination of both. This happens so content appears to be in the same place as regards inner/outer margins, then the stapled/bound pages are trimmed.

APub isn't going to be of help here. Neither would InDesign nor QuarkXPress per se.

But...if those 16 page documents are not going to be part/sections of a larger work? Pretty much disregard most of what I have written...but do work in reading order, output as single pages in reading order and use a capable pdf reader such as the free Adobe Reader to print that pdf as a booklet. Anything else is creating more work for zero gain.

Thanks for your effort as usual Egg

I wish I had known that about xara page and layout I have been trying hard to get somewhere with it. Thanks handrawn.

Thanks mwenz. You certainly know your subject and that is a great help to me, appreciated. This started off as a simple project and I was going to leave the printing and binding etc to last so I'm very pleased I investigated at this stage. What a great response from you all.

I NEED TO STOP THIS THREAD NOW SO IF SOMEONE WOULD REMIND ME WHAT TO DO I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.

Regards Terry

only mods can close threads on TG - if you really want it closed you will need to PM one - by and large though the policy on TG is to leave them open unless they become contentious or a target for spam...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    only mods can close threads on TG - if you really want it closed you will need to PM one - by and large though the policy on TG is to leave them open unless they become contentious or a target for spam...
    OK That's fine. Thanks

you are welcome - I hope your project goes well
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, good luck with it.

Once it's done, it would be nice if you reported back, and let us know what pitfalls you encountered, how you overcame them and how the final project turned out.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

As requested just to let you know how the problem was resolved. I have settled on MS Publisher for a number of reasons. One the ease of compiling pages even though I'm still learning. But the main reason is the Publisher sorts out the printing of batches of pages, signatures was I believe the correct terminology' without any intervention from yourself. As I said my double sided printer deals with this easily. I have over 100 pages so far and binding appears not to be a problem.
    However the question to the Forum and answers were invaluable so thanks to you all. Does this go out to all to contributes or just yourself.
    Best Regards Terry