Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default nav bars - cannot 'drag and drop' or 'import' to replace existing?

Hi folks, just started using this program and run straight into a simple problem! it says just drag and drop or import from the catalogue but I can only 'import' and it does not replace existing nav bar, only add a new one with the standard 3 buttons. I can't see how to drag and drop either - mouse just doesnt 'pick' anything on that catalogue page and if I 'import' and then drag it into what seems like the correct place it just sits on top of the general area. Its probably really simple, maybe a USA v UK english thing? old age getting to me? I am using the latest version of premium on a win10 64 PC and a Sandstrom mouse.
    thanks.

Default Re: nav bars - cannot 'drag and drop' or 'import' to replace existing?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Well I am old and I have been using Xara for much of my life and I must say, this feature DOES NOT work for me either. I think in earlier versions it did. But not for me.

I am going to move this to the Dear Xara forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features (that work).

Hi Solent & welcome to TalkGraphics.

I can't find anything that suggests you can drag & drop from the Content Catalogue and it definitely doesn't work for me either .
    Here's what my help file says:

Import an item either with a double click or by clicking the Import button that appears as you mouse-over the item.
    However as you state importing say an image doesn't replace another image on the page, just drops a copy into the middle of the page.

The best way to proceed is once you've imported an image, delete it. It's no longer on the page but still exists in the Bitmap Gallery. From there you can drag and drop the image onto another image on the page and it replaces the original.

Please get back as I'm sure other TG members will have additional input here.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg - I seem to remember this worked a few updates ago and was considered at that time a feature.

Hi Solent,

Did you mean to refer to the online 'Catalogue' or the 'Local Designs Gallery'? You can drag and drop from the Local Designs Gallery and I guess maybe this could have been what you were referring to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Local Designs Gallery.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	126740

When imported, you can change colours and fonts in different ways.

Hi everyone, thanks for thinking about this, the help for this states - Using template Navigation bars:
    The Online Content Catalog contains a wide range of template Navigation bars for you to use. There are both horizontal and vertical bars and they are fully customizable. Just import a bar from the gallery to place it on your page. Or replace an existing bar by dropping the new one onto it – the new bar takes on all the button labels, links and menus of the bar it replaces.

This is my problem - it doesn't! I don't seem to be able to do either of these methods - so exactly how do I get one of the nav bars offered in the catalogue into my home page to replace the existing one and hence to have all the buttons links etc?

to EGG thankyou! that does work! I have just followed your instructions and bingo it did it woohoo! Please can someone update the help to avoid anyone else losing their cool over this

Quote Originally Posted by solent View Post
    Hi everyone, thanks for thinking about this, the help for this states - Using template Navigation bars:
    The Online Content Catalog contains a wide range of template Navigation bars for you to use. There are both horizontal and vertical bars and they are fully customizable. Just import a bar from the gallery to place it on your page. Or replace an existing bar by dropping the new one onto it – the new bar takes on all the button labels, links and menus of the bar it replaces.

This is my problem - it doesn't! I don't seem to be able to do either of these methods - so exactly how do I get one of the nav bars offered in the catalogue into my home page to replace the existing one and hence to have all the buttons links etc?
    The "dropping" works and always has from the Local Designs gallery. Such an action is not possible form the browser that the OCC is presented, without serious coding change.

To get the NavBars into your Local designs gallery, open the blue folders Components > Print & Web Components and right-click on the blue Navigation Bars folder and pick Download All.
    Use the drag and drop method from this populated folder.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat