Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The League of Movable Type

The League of Movable Type was founded by people passionate about how text should look on the rinted page or anywhere else.

They are Open Source, and have several free fonts and partial font families free of charge.

I suggest that if you love typography, you sign up for their weekly newsletter, and don't scrape the site for the free stuff because that's like putting Filet Mignon on a sesame seed bun—just be a thoughtful spectator, a better person than me (!), and enjoy one of the classier sites on the web.

The League of Movable Type

My best,

Gare

Name:  Life-doesn't-suck-today.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  22.2 KB

Default Re: The League of Movable Type

That could be useful Gare thank you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Great resource. You might want to check out Hoefler & Co. Not cheap but beautifully designed typography. https://www.typography.com/ I used Requiem Text Roman designed when Hoefler was 21! https://www.typography.com/fonts/requiem/overview

HTF, absolutely, oG.

I was so jealous that Apple had commissioned them to create Hoefler Text for Macintosh, but no Windows version. My thirst fibnally sated when Barbara and I bought our first Mac in 1998 and the text came with it.

CrossFont was our solution to making a TTF version for our Windows machines, a reasonably priced program that works even in Windows 10; the OTF file format makes most of the use of CrossFont moot, but every once in a while I come across a PFB than needs porting.

If ya got the bucks (I used to), there's also used to buy from LHF—LetterHead Fonts—and anything I could find from the URW foundry in Germany. It's not common knowledge, but URW OEMs for Adobe, Bitstream, Monotype, Linotype in particular. S it just made sense to me that, for example, a URW version of Roger Excoffin's Banco would be at least as good as Birstream's.

Strike that: Bitstream offers Banco is Bold, all UpperCase. URW had regular and bold Upper and lower case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banco.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	126729

Name:  Wind-up-bot-8PNG.png
Views: 4898
Size:  9.6 KB

-g

Thanks for link Gare - just signed up for newsletter. I’ve had ‘Ostrich’ fonts on my PC for years, good to know where they came from! I like it when life loops round and joins up.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I am wondering why Gare's theads are reported? Am I missing something?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks for the link, Gare.