Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Eraser Tool

Hybrid View

Default Eraser Tool

A few days ago egg showed in a design how to use the eraser tool to erase a line. I have been trying to do the same thing to erase a line over a leaf in my design. I drew the leaf then created a curved corner rectangle over the leaf with no fill so basically I have a outline of the rectangle covering parts of the leaf. What I want do is erase the line part that is over the leaf. When I use the eraser tool all it does is distort the line instead of erasing it. What am I missing? erasertool.xar

Default Re: Eraser Tool

The dark green cnaibus is already a vectot with a rectctangle overlaying the light green is an image and the line can be erased
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    The dark green cnaibus is already a vectot with a rectctangle overlaying the light green is an image and the line can be erased
    I think I get your meaning, if I turn the rectangle into a bitmap image instead of a vector it will erase. Thanks going directly to give it a try.

The eraser tool works for me over a line. You might need to Arrange > Break Shapes to create separate lines. But the line remains a line. I use Designer Pro X. This may not be true in Web Designer.

Her is the document
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

From the idea I got from Scotty I went back and Made a bitmap copy of the rectangle, got rid of the original vector and then the eraser tool worked like a charm. Thanks Scotty. Also thanks Gary for chiming in. I was just going at it the wrong way!!!!

Why use bitmap when you can retain all in vector?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

When I use the eraser tool all it does is distort the line instead of erasing it. What am I missing?
    you are not erasing a line - you are erasing a rectangle with an outline and no fill - so what you see as you erase is the outline moving to stay with the new edge of the partly erased rectangle

I would do it like egg...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As pointed out you have two vector objects: leaf and rounded rectangle.

Just put the rectangle behind the leaf.
    To get the gap between the leaf and the line add a white Line width of 6px to the leaf. Clone the leaf and remove the Line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaf me alone.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	126724
    The pale cyan background is to emphasise the Line border.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat