Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eraser Tool

Default Eraser Tool

A few days ago egg showed in a design how to use the eraser tool to erase a line. I have been trying to do the same thing to erase a line over a leaf in my design. I drew the leaf then created a curved corner rectangle over the leaf with no fill so basically I have a outline of the rectangle covering parts of the leaf. What I want do is erase the line part that is over the leaf. When I use the eraser tool all it does is distort the line instead of erasing it. What am I missing? erasertool.xar

Default Re: Eraser Tool

The dark green cnaibus is already a vectot with a rectctangle overlaying the light green is an image and the line can be erased
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    The dark green cnaibus is already a vectot with a rectctangle overlaying the light green is an image and the line can be erased
    I think I get your meaning, if I turn the rectangle into a bitmap image instead of a vector it will erase. Thanks going directly to give it a try.

The eraser tool works for me over a line. You might need to Arrange > Break Shapes to create separate lines. But the line remains a line. I use Designer Pro X. This may not be true in Web Designer.

Her is the document
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

From the idea I got from Scotty I went back and Made a bitmap copy of the rectangle, got rid of the original vector and then the eraser tool worked like a charm. Thanks Scotty. Also thanks Gary for chiming in. I was just going at it the wrong way!!!!

Why use bitmap when you can retain all in vector?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

When I use the eraser tool all it does is distort the line instead of erasing it. What am I missing?
    you are not erasing a line - you are erasing a rectangle with an outline and no fill - so what you see as you erase is the outline moving to stay with the new edge of the partly erased rectangle

I would do it like egg...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As pointed out you have two vector objects: leaf and rounded rectangle.

Just put the rectangle behind the leaf.
    To get the gap between the leaf and the line add a white Line width of 6px to the leaf. Clone the leaf and remove the Line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaf me alone.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	126724
    The pale cyan background is to emphasise the Line border.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Or a white glow shadow with 0% blur and 0% transparency ... adjust the width of the glow shadow to suit (click and drag). That way the white stays outside the boundary of the leaves.

As Acorn says though make sure you put the rectangle behind the leaf.

No erasing necessary.

EDIT:

Stick to the line and the clone that Acorn suggested ... The line is vector, whilst the shadow is raster, and even with the blur set to 0, it doesn't clean up well. If only we could adjust the line position as Serif Designer can ... Ahh well hoping for new vector abilities is probably a waste of time - especially for a PRO GRAPHIC APPLICATION ... it's getting to be time they dropped the PRO designation.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 08 April 2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.