Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF Filter Encountered a general problem

I have a few versions old XDP (Xara Designer Pro X 12.6.0.49270), which has suddenly decided that it doesn't want to create PDF's any more.

I looked on the forum and couldn't find anyone with the same experience, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I tried reinstaling from the CD and requested it to repair, sadly to no avail.

I (sadly) don't use XDP as my main graphics progam anymore (due to all the reasons that are frequently discussed here) :-)

But there is no denying that XDP is perfect when you want to do quick and dirty stuff to get a client off your back!

Anyway, if anyone has any insight I would be grateful for any help.

TIA

Dahzee

Default Re: PDF Filter Encountered a general problem

you can try right clicking and running the program as administrator - only need do it once per program
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi handrawn,

Works a treat!

Now why is this the case and how on earth did you figure that out?

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Dahzee

it is a well known [to those who know] 'fix' for problems of this kind

basically in order to access import/export 'filters', [the routines that enable the program to export/import other file types], the association between these and the xara program needs to be set up correctly in the windows registry

for one reason or another this does not always happen automtically when the program is installed; for example, this can be because of your security settings, or because another program is blocking

it is then necessary to force the registration - but it does not always work, glad it did for you
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it is a well known [to those who know] 'fix' for problems of this kind
    basically in order to access import/export 'filters', [the routines that enable the program to export/import other file types], the association between these and the xara program needs to be set up correctly in the windows registry
    for one reason or another this does not always happen automtically when the program is installed; for example, this can be because of your security settings, or because another program is blocking
    it is then necessary to force the registration - but it does not always work, glad it did for you
    It is actually a failure to connect to the right modules in the Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL). It happens because MS Windows is using some of them at the time of your installation. That is why installers recommend closing all other applications. A cold start immediately after an install usually also helps. People are so impatient and expect everything to just work.

Sometimes, you need to do it per user per program.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is actually a failure to connect to the right modules in the Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL). It happens because MS Windows is using some of them at the time of your installation. That is why installers recommend closing all other applications. A cold start immediately after an install usually also helps. People are so impatient and expect everything to just work.

Sometimes, you need to do it per user per program.

Acorn
    Xara applications are the only ones I've ever installed that have had this issue. While the above may be the issue, it isn't a universal one.

have to say I agree with mike, about never having seen this issue as prevalent anywhere else... and that includes all the other programs that advise closing other apps which I rarely ever do

DLL or Registration, it does not happen to me except in very old apps - perhaps that is a clue, perhaps some of the xara code base is really really old.....

People are so impatient and expect everything to just work
    out of luck with xara programs there then in more ways than one
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 April 2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammar
    Nothing lasts forever...