Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Links in popup layer

Hello!

I am trying to create a pop-up box that allows you to click in an area to another page on the site, be closed with a "popup: close" button/link, AND I would like it stuck to the right-side of the browser window.

So far, I have been able to get the popup working with the link to the other page (register) AND the close button, but not sticky to the right.

Proof: proof1

Link to that Xara file: Register box not sticky

OR, I can get the pop-up to be stuck to the right AND link to the other page (register), but no close button.

Proof: proof2

Link to that Xara file: Sticky register box, no close button

It seems that I have to have the entire graphic/text grouped in order to have it sticky on the right side, which means the link to the "popup: close" won't work because I can't seem to have multiple links in a grouped item. I've tried soft-grouping to maintain the links, but then it won't appear on the page at all. If I add the close button separately from the "sticky" group of just the green box (linked to register), then none of it will appear on the page at all.

Am I missing something? Or is this something that won't work in Xara?

Here's a link to the pop-up box inspiration from my boss that I'm trying to re-create:
    http://cultivateevent.org

Thank you for any help/insight!

-Kelly

Default Re: Links in popup layer

Sorry for the delay in getting this post live. New members are not permitted links (though in this case your links are appropriate) and you topic was placed in moderation.

Check back in a bit and I am sure someone will have the answer. Or not.

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Thank you for getting it posted. This isn't my first post, as I've asked questions before without any links. I know it's helpful to be able to see what's being discussed and post the associated Xara files since someone might be able to dig into my file to see what I am missing.

Since I'm not a very advanced Xara user, I haven't been able to contribute much to other discussions to not be so "new."

Regards,
    Kelly

The Popup in your reference example http://cultivateevent.org is sticky, animated (slides in from the right), sits off-page (so it stays to the right hand side of the browser) and has multiple links, close popup and links to another page.. There is some slick coding in that lot!

You need two Xara work-arounds; one that allows sticky animated pop-ups and one that allows that popup to auto-load. Attached is a working example with some explanations that you can have a play with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sticky Animation Popup Off Page Browser.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	126696

You can use the approach across multiple variants, but for a mobile variant I would simply forget the popup and have the registration block always visible on the page.

Have fun
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    The Popup in your reference example http://cultivateevent.org is sticky, animated (slides in from the right), sits off-page (so it stays to the right hand side of the browser) and has multiple links, close popup and links to another page.. There is some slick coding in that lot!

You need two Xara work-arounds; one that allows sticky animated pop-ups and one that allows that popup to auto-load. Attached is a working example with some explanations that you can have a play with.

Name:	Sticky Animation Popup Off Page Browser.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	126696

You can use the approach across multiple variants, but for a mobile variant I would simply forget the popup and have the registration block always visible on the page.

Have fun
    Should have said the key to making this work is to animate the popup objects with 'Slide in-from-right' (though Web Animation) BEFORE you copy from the MouseOff layer to the Popup Layer, and that Popup settings (in this case can be set to instant). Updated instructions.

Name:	Animated Sticky Popup Instructions.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	126706
    Attached Files Attached Files

I will give this a try. I wasn't even going for the slide in part yet, just trying to get both the link to the register page and the "link" for the close box to work first.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your time.
    -Kelly

Initiostar,

Thank you so much for your step-by-step! I was able to get it to work.

-Kelly

So our friends across the pond were able to help.

Thumbs up Re: Links in popup layer

Kelly,

Good news that it worked. Worth remembering the workarounds for future use.

Gary