Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

WD6 Please show me a great webpage made with xara.

With some more sites and nicely responsive.

why?
    i cant believe it, that somebody seriously use xara for webpages, in the times of wordpress, typo3, joomla ....

but may be im wrong.
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Default Re: Please show me a great webpage made with xara.

A ton of websites can be seen in the sample section of the magix products website.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

u have a link?
    i only find templates.
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    With some more sites and nicely responsive.

why?
    i cant believe it, that somebody seriously use xara for webpages, in the times of wordpress, typo3, joomla ....

but may be im wrong.
    First of all the tools you you use make little difference to whether the end-product is a good website or not. It's the person using the tool that determines whether it's a great website or not.

Don't blame Xara for bad designs and don't mention Wordpress because a website that uses it has a good design.

Just because you don't wish to use Xara to make websites because it is adaptive and not responsive it's not cool to disparage others that do.

I don't use Xara for websites, but I think I understand why people do.

The user base of Xara is predominately hobbyist, with some semi-professionals and a handful of professionals. There are a lot of professionals in non-design fields that use Xara to promote themselves.

The Xara user base likes it because of all or any of these reasons:

- it's a one-stop shop
    - they like the price
    - they find it easy to use
    - they like the user community
    - they used Xara for artwork and just extended that to web pages
    - they are used to Xara and can't be bothered with learning new software
    - they don't want to learn to use multiple programs and then integrate everything into a single web builder.
    - they want to design free-form rather than through templates that need CSS/HTML tweaks
    - they are happy with the Xara template library and don't want to create unique designs
    - they like the ease of FTP transfer
    - they like the hosting
    - they don't need dynamic web pages designed through templates.
    - their sites are static.

So, I understand it.

I don't use it because I too prefer responsive sites and like to assemble web pages not design them free-form.

Please do knock people who do use the software, there are plenty of reason why they do and reasons why we don't. I think we know there are a lot of reasons not to use Xara, but if these aren't of concern to anyone, they can be happy.

Xara software is a compromise.

typo there paul in last but one line I think, should be Please do not ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    First of all the tools you you use make little difference to whether the end-product is a good website or not. It's the person using the tool that determines whether it's a great website or not.

- they like the price
    cause I too prefer responsive sites and like to assemble web pages not design them free-form.

Please do knock people who do use the software, there are plenty of reason why they do and reasons why we don't. I think we know there are a lot of reasons not to use Xara, but if these aren't of concern to anyone, they can be happy.

Xara software is a compromise.

Every software is a compromise.

and yes, i know this all.

but still haven't seen any page in the wild www.
    or any body using
    https://www.xt-cms.com/
    ?

I use Xara for very serious Intranet websites where other products can not be used.
    Not every site has to be a CMS and in a defined business enterprise not every page has to be responsive.
    Most products fail accessibility needs, which is why I bang on to Xara about web standards but I am equally disparaging elsewhere.

Xara outputs can be delivered across multiple environments will little payload and integration concerns.
    That is the type of responsive I need.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    typo there paul in last but one line I think, should be Please do not ?
    Absolutely. Sadly I can't change it now.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    yes, i know this all.
    I think you missed the point.

The fact that someone hasn't shown you a wonderful web page doesn't mean there isn't one, or one can't be made.

I say again, since it didn't register: The tool(s) used to make a web page don't matter in terms of design quality.

Unless I am missing something here, it is not the software but the skill of the designer that makes a great website. The best software in the world is useless by itself.

Xara has limitations. It is not designed for e-commerce. Yes you can work with shopping cart add-ons, but not natively. Xara is tiresome with large websites.

But for small to medium size websites Xara is terrific. I work in Designer Pro so there almost everything I need is right there for me. I can design a website and in the same window work on custom graphics, nav bars, edit photos, without having to leave the program.

I have seen over the years many really excellent websites created in Xara. Clean, effective, attractive, and content that is informative and easy to access. At the same time I have seen sites created in other programs that are overworked, gimmicky, hard to navigate and hard to find the appropriate content.

It all comes down to the designer and his skill using the tools at hand. Just like a great painter.