Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please show me a great webpage made with xara.

www.gentshaircuts.com
    www.moonstoneartstudio.com
    www.frankpicozziformayor.com

I use Xara because I know Jack Shit about HTML..and it works well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It might be a difference in IP4 and IPv6 addressing.

I am getting served from a 1&1 Internet AG (united-internet.org) IPv6 address of:2001:8d8:100f:f000::28d, Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Perhaps there is a different IP4 address in play?

Acorn
    FYI if I still did websites for a living, I would manually go in after publishing my pages and change that to my name to make it look like I hand made these websites lmao. A good web designer does not give away his secrets that easy haha

Hello All, I have developed my website using Xara Web Designer Premium v17. Admittedly I am a little technical but developing a website on my own was a no brainer for me as I wanted to be in control. I developed the following website https://www.mumbaispiceclub.com. It’s a online store that sells Indian Spice Tins for those wishing to find an easy way to cook authentic Indian Food. I found developing the site was quite straight forward and I loved the easy drag and drop features that were available to me. Even setting up the online store was relatively simple and I have saved thousands of pounds on development costs. I would recommend using Xara. I did get some extra help from the one of the best moderators on the forum ACORN. The areas I could not do, he applied his magic and resolved very quickly. Even them it still worked out much cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by mitslad View Post
    Hello All, I have developed my website using Xara Web Designer Premium v17. Admittedly I am a little technical but developing a website on my own was a no brainer for me as I wanted to be in control. I developed the following website https://www.mumbaispiceclub.com. It’s a online store that sells Indian Spice Tins for those wishing to find an easy way to cook authentic Indian Food. I found developing the site was quite straight forward and I loved the easy drag and drop features that were available to me. Even setting up the online store was relatively simple and I have saved thousands of pounds on development costs. I would recommend using Xara. I did get some extra help from the one of the best moderators on the forum ACORN. The areas I could not do, he applied his magic and resolved very quickly. Even them it still worked out much cheaper
    mitslad, I appreciate the plug. The hard bit was getting ECWID to operate in a Variant with both ECWID & Xara advising it could not be done. I enjoyed the challenge and gained a spice tin in part payment. Bought another as a gift so I can recommend one for Christmas. If you do, mention TG & ACORN.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The hard bit was getting ECWID to operate in a Variant with both ECWID & Xara advising it could not be done

Acorn
    Acorn,

could you share how you got xara and ecwid to play nice in variants. i moved to a new website development tool for sites when using ecwid. I tried some work arounds but never a smooth solution.
    thanks,
    e

This is where we need to document and have this Ecwid setup shown to people who are confused as to how to setup on this forum. So many times I see new and old users like myself confronting issues with it. Lets pin it somewhere permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Acorn,
    could you share how you got xara and ecwid to play nice in variants. i moved to a new website development tool for sites when using ecwid. I tried some work arounds but never a smooth solution.
    thanks, e
    Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    This is where we need to document and have this Ecwid setup shown to people who are confused as to how to setup on this forum. So many times I see new and old users like myself confronting issues with it. Lets pin it somewhere permanent.
    Both, I am now in a difficult place.
    If I explain my coding and others implement it on their Clients' sites and things go wrong, the Clients lose sales and money.
    Who then is to blame? Who would be called on to rectify matters?

In delivering my solution for the Mumbai Spice Club, I invested a lot of time developing, tuning and testing the functionality for a paying client.
    I have a living to make and as an independent consultant the time I give to TG is in my gift; supporting others beyond this eats into my time and labour without recompense.

The concept I developed is simple and ought to have been addressed by Xara when it delivered Variants. It can be employed more generally with other IFRAME embedding (Placeholders) so I would suggest looking to Xara in the first instance; the approach is a solution to a poor implementation. I seem to do all the running in raising Bugs, getting nowhere and subsequently having to fix it myself; TG is a great platform when others engage but that is down to a select few.

The approach is also quite specific for the Mumbai Spice Club environment and therefore no one could easily undertake modifications without knowledge of the target website.
    I could refactor the code but that takes time. I am willing to take on bespoke commissions where I can at least offer a warranty for the work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Point taken Acorn. Do not raise your blood pressure.

Thanks, Acorn for the additional information.

I didn't realize it was a coding solution, I thought you found a way to work within the standard products. I am positively impressed that you got it working (but not surprised by your expertise) and you are correct that Xara should address the issue. It is a variant issue, not just Ecwid.

I respect you not wanting to share a custom coding project and I actually wouldn't want to implement it. I found a much easier solution by using another web development platform. Having been forced to learn another tool I now am doing all new projects with the new tool and moving some Xara sites over as need arises. But a new web tool doesn't change that I use Xara almost daily for graphic and photo needs.

Again, thanks for the additional explanation. Your feedback is always a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by onlye View Post
    Thanks, Acorn for the additional information.

I didn't realize it was a coding solution, I thought you found a way to work within the standard products. I am positively impressed that you got it working (but not surprised by your expertise) and you are correct that Xara should address the issue. It is a variant issue, not just Ecwid.

I respect you not wanting to share a custom coding project and I actually wouldn't want to implement it. I found a much easier solution by using another web development platform. Having been forced to learn another tool I now am doing all new projects with the new tool and moving some Xara sites over as need arises. But a new web tool doesn't change that I use Xara almost daily for graphic and photo needs.

Again, thanks for the additional explanation. Your feedback is always a gem.
    Cheers, but isn't it sad that we have a great product ruining by blinkered vision and poor design specification.

Variants are great but a solution this is behind the curve.
    The internet is getting faster.
    Lazy-loading or pre-caching is far easier to implement.
    So the premise of the code of Main and Variants being bundled together in one HTML file per page is Purgatory.
    You cannot publish a Main as a Conventional site and any Variant as a Supersite.
    I can and do but, again, I have written code to switch from one site to another but the pain is having to keep factoring out the Variants as their own design file.

The same can be argued for Transition Supersites.
    Xara saw the opportunity to mash together the code for Presentations and invented Supersites.

Linking to external resources...

Rotated Text as an IMAGE...

No native integration for SVG...

Acorn