Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: I'd prefer to NOT have a smartphone variant

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    I find the "mobile" variant a lot of extra work and a problem-causer.
    Most people, particularly those below a certain age, browse the web on their phones. Even when they get home they pull out a phone to look something up.

Should making a website be about what makes an easy life for the developer, or should it be about what works for the website visitor?

If you want to do a "proper job" you'll have a mobile variant that works in portrait mode.

Here's a tip: you don't have to squash in everything you might have in a desktop site into a mobile version. Simplify. No tiny text to cram it all in. No tiny buttons.

Do the right thing - it's about the site visitor not the site developer's convenience.

then there are those like me who resist wherever possible using mobile in landscape - i have it turned off - my phone is in a case that protects it well, but makes holding it in landscape awkward and tireing... only when using camera occasionally and youtube etc if necessary...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

I guess I expected this response, but being old I'm naturally crabby some days. Like gcellison I dislike working in the small, vertical format. A lot of design freedom has to be tossed out the window.

I could say that much of my user base is older and less addicted to smartphones, but that's changing, even for me. The damn things are just so useful and versatile.

I have been blindsided a couple of times when changes made to elements of the "mobile" version have caused problems with the master. Perhaps I need to read the manual more closely to see what is linked and what is not.

Thanks, people, for your input and advice.