Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Frieze Designing Challenge

No winners other than the praise of other TGers for this one and no solution either so you are on your own.

Get set.

Go!

Using the Timeline 01 SmartShape, which Imports as three Blobs, transform it into something more visual while keeping its original functionality.
    I should be able to increase the number of Blobs, release and return back to the number presented and the same frieze pattern would persist.

Here are my suggestions: Xara Timeline 01 - Frieze Challenge.xar.
    Note: the slow loading of the file into your Xara Desktop application (XDA) is down to the heavy coding Xara has had to use with its SmartShapes. The file is only 120kB.

You will also get plaudits in describing your approach as a viable workflow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Frieze Designing Challenge

Sorry for the delay. Challenge new topics are in moderation until... moderated.

sorry, I only do animation timelines, I don't even know what these are supposed to do...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    sorry, I only do animation timelines, I don't even know what these are supposed to do...
    Then open the file and have a play. Double click any of the examples. The SmartShape controls are limited but that's Xara for you.

I have yet to find a purpose for these, which is why I challenged a frieze.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The SmartShape controls are limited but that's Xara for you
    that is an understatement...

from their title I guess they are for using when you want to delineate a sequence of events graphically

well each to their own.....
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 March 2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: fancy words are harder to spel
    Nothing lasts forever...

Been trying to take this challenge out of moderation but I keep getting no post selected. Anyone have any ideas?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

its already out larry - gary did it
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've never looked at the SMART SHAPES, I don't really understand what they are supposed to achieve.

and now, having looked at the challenge, I've still got no idea, and have no idea HOW you manipulated them as you did either.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My first ever attempt at one of these challenges.

Does this work?

Shape contest JCB.xar

Once in a while I get a Violation warning.

I moved the Shape end to show 1 circle, then put a fill in the circle and used the Shape tool to modify it to show the thermometer, before making the line transparent.
    Last edited by browj2; 01 April 2020 at 04:29 AM.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

looks good - perhaps the readings should be going up/down depending which way you are going along the line, which would be one way of using it

maybe have two lines in sync, one for date and one for the reading or just one line with two variables date and reading; either way you could have one or the other as the one in sequence

possibilities are not endless with this SS, but could be a useful graphic in the right place
    Nothing lasts forever...