Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tricks for Calligraphy?

a tip - make the brush with a named colour - that way it will respect the set colour in the program and use it when you draw, and you do not have open the dialog to change the colour afterwards...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    a tip - make the brush with a named colour - that way it will respect the set colour in the program and use it when you draw, and you do not have open the dialog to change the colour afterwards...
    What I do is create Brush, draw with it and then Edit Brush as you have to change the Rotation. At the same time in Fill Properties, untick Till fills & set Local colours replace All brush colours.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am old fashioned - i don't like having to edit a stroke after I have made it - call it pride, I spent five years learning how to get a freehand stroke right first time, post editing time is wasted time [end of rant .... ]

therefore stands to reason I would want to select the colour for the stroke before I draw it...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just needed something to speed up the process to get flexible calligraphy strokes. I personally just retrace the strokes by hand, it's more or less I wanted something that can get the feel easily by editing lines. Again, thanks for pointing me to scatter. I never would've thought of that...maybe that name needs some reconsideration...or get rid of the two versions of brushes...once you're in one mode, you don't see the other mode's options. I know they don't have anything to do with each other, but a mode tab and just one collection of tabs would be helpful so an option like this wouldn't be missed by a knucklehead like me.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

scatter goes back to the beginnings of the program, it is a reference to the stroke being made up of discrete objects, the distribution of which can be scattered around as the stroke is drawn as defined in the edit brush dialog

art brushes are a later addition - the stroke is only made of one object [which can be a group] that can be either stretched, scaled, or repeated in a fixed pattern...
    Nothing lasts forever...