Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Trouble in creating a mouse over pop-up

I am learning Designer Pro X 1.6.3 and following the user manual page 457 to create a mouse-over pop-up.

But I have trouble in following the steps.

1. Select a layer in the PAGE & LAYER GALLERY and click NEW to create a new layer.
    2. Draw a rounded rectangle with the RECTANGLE TOOL, click a (pale) color patch on the COLOR LINE (on page 190) to give it a fill color. For good measure give it a soft shadow (select the SHADOW tool and just drag on the rectangle).
    3. Create a block of text on top of your rectangle. Select the TEXT TOOL and drag diagonally across the rectangle. Type your text. You probably want to hide the pop-up layer now, so click the eye icon against your new layer in the Page & Layer Gallery.
    4. Back on the base (MouseOff) layer (click it in the PAGE & LAYER GALLERY to set this as current layer) now select the text you want to trigger the pop-up, using the usual method (in the Text tool). Then open the WEB PROPERTIES DIALOG (on page 460) (Ctrl+Shift+W) and on the MOUSE-OVER tab select the new layer from the 'SHOW POPUP LAYER' drop down menu. Click OK.
    5. Preview and test your mouseover effect.

In step 4, I cannot find the MOUSE-OVER tab in WEB PROPERTIES DIALOG, any idea?

Edit:
    I found it is the error in the manual, I should open the Web Animation dialog to set the pop-up for the selected text. The shortcut Shit+Ctrl+Alt+N did not work if I have select the text first. I can only use the shortcut to open the Web Animation dialog and then use the Text tool to select the text to setup pop-up.
    Last edited by flim; 31 March 2020 at 03:59 AM.

Default Re: Trouble in creating a mouse over pop-up

flim, a couple of points.

XDPX opens a new document as Print document unless you have changed the default Template or specifically chosen a Web document.
    The check is in the Page & Layer gallery where you should see both MouseOff and MouseOver layers. (This is your Step 4).
    A quicker check, if you look to the main top menu, the left-most icon should be a blue W.

Shit+Ctrl+Alt+N is set to work on shapes not via the Text tool so use the Selector tool to pick the Text Line.

Last one, if you are with the Update service cover period, you are entitled to a free XDPXv17.0 download: https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/download/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes I am working with Web document, I create the document by File->New->Web Page 960 px

I prefer not to use v17, new feature in v17 is not a big leap over 16.3. If I have to reinstall Xara on another PC or I need to reinstall Windows, which I did recently, I can only install 16.3 version after Update service expired. I have zip the cache folder for future installation.

In the Page and Layout Gallery > Layers there should be a MouseOff and MouseOver layer. This is what you should see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page and Layout Gallery.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	126657  

Red face Re: Trouble in creating a mouse over pop-up

Flim, the Help file is not correct here (Or wherever you're getting this info from):

4. .... Then open the WEB PROPERTIES DIALOG (on page 460) (Ctrl+Shift+W) and on the MOUSE-OVER tab select the new layer from the 'SHOW POPUP LAYER' drop down menu. Click OK.
    The Web Properties Dialouge doesn't have a Mouse Over option only an On Click option!

Instead, with the trigger text selected, right click it and select Web Animation. Now you can set the Mouse Over Effect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	126660  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 April 2020 at 06:14 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host