Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create a frame from the shape of another image (NOT RECTANGULAR)

Hi! Help me, please! I can't find this information on the forum.

How to create a frame in Xara Designer Pro X 15 (16-17)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_747a1_1e1cf5ed_orig.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	126636 from the shape of one image (NOT RECTANGULAR) to insert another image and then for free scaling.

For example, I want to make a frame in the shape of a butterfly. But as soon as I drag another image onto the butterfly, a frame is created but it is RECTANGULAR.

Default Re: How to create a frame from the shape of another image (NOT RECTANGULAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyman26 View Post
    Hi! Help me, please! I can't find this information on the forum.

How to create a frame in Xara Designer Pro X 15 (16-17)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_747a1_1e1cf5ed_orig.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	126636 from the shape of one image (NOT RECTANGULAR) to insert another image and then for free scaling.

For example, I want to make a frame in the shape of a butterfly. But as soon as I drag another image onto the butterfly, a frame is created but it is RECTANGULAR.
    Well my friend, I believe you're going to be instructed to simply use the 'Shape Tool' and do a trace around it... one you 'close' the newly formed shape,
    you now have your new frame...shouldn't be to difficult. Then get the image you want placed in the frame, and use the 'Apply Clip View' feature.

Default Re: How to create a frame from the shape of another image (NOT RECTANGULAR)

OR... you could just get yourself a butterfly vector graphic and THEN use the 'Apply Clip View' feature

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly frame.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	126637

Of course this is just basic... one could really go to town on the edges of this frame...
    Hope this helps...

Cliff

Then there's always 'Transparency' effects?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly girl.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	126639

Cliff

Don't know what I did to get that 'Attached Thumbnail'? But I know I don't know how to get rid of it. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly girl.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	126638  

Thank you very much for your answers!!!! I am very appreciate it!
    Maybe You know, is there a tool in Xara Designer Pro X, like a magic wand in Photoshop, for quick and accurate selection? I just found "Magnetic Lasso Tool". But it's not very comfortable to use. It's very slow and inaccurate process.

As far as I'm aware, most people use the shape editor tool for 99% of all their drawing needs. Once you learn to use it properly it's fast and accurate. I've never used the magnetic lasso in Xara, just don't think about it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

an alternative method would be to recolour the butterfly black and use bitmap tracer to get a vector shape of the butterfly - whilst, not the same as magic wand it is as close as you'll get in xara - that said the bitmap tracer is not the best, inkscape's is better [and free], people here often use vector magic

you'd get something like this:

butterfly vector.xar

which is a bit rough around the edges, but it depends what you want it for

tracing round by hand with shape tool [or freehand tool with tablet] would be, as said, more accurate, and faster once you have learn't the tool[s] which in itself is an investment, so its up to you

me I would not do this at all in xara, but that is a different matter
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 March 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks to everybody for help!!!