Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default If X17 As bad as they say?

Found a typo (I hope) on the web site "Importing .ppt(x), .doc and .pdf files is not 20% more precise" NOT?!

Seriously, how hard would it be for them to auto update from 16 to 17 if you only renewed "updates" a few months ago? I fell for that in about 2017 and was using an old version despite yearly paying for the latest because I thought when I paid for "auto-updates" I would get "auto-updates" So be warned that you have to download v17 even if you just bought v16 with auto updates.

I know it says it in the notes on a thread here BUT why can't they state that in nice big writing on the pop-up that appears on v16!? OR better still recognise that the licence is still in use for auto-updates and auto install OR provide a different prompt to download e.g. "We see you have auto-updates licence but sadly you will need to click this link and manual install".

Rant over.

Do anyone else every fall for this unfortunate issue?

Turan

Default Re: If X17 As bad as they say?

Maybe rant was not over - "Optimized image data The new optimizations for image data let you add names, keywords and alt text to pictures and graphics. This information makes it easier for search engines to know what your website content is about so that they can better evaluate the relevance of your site for users."

They always had alt-text, now they've added "Image filename" - which I assume is where the "names" they mentioned comes in, but what about "keywords" - ultimately keywords should be embedded in the Alt txt and filename. But why clame they added three things when they've added one new one?

Also missing the point of "Optimized links Use NoFollow links to tell search engines which links are important for your website and what content you trust to avoid search algorithms from associating your site with non-trustworthy content or spam. This helps improve your Google ranking."

Why would I have a link on my site that I don't want google to search - ok there are things like my page "thanks for subscribing to my newsletter" page but there are no links to that page and I've excluded it via the robots.txt file - so whats the point of it?

Been with Xara since the 90's and a big fan of them just a few things piss me off at times.

Such as when I run a SEO tool over my site and it says "you should be using the newer more optimised jpg2000" - and I'm thinking hope Xara starts saving in these formats but no :-(

Rant pt 3.

None of my setting have moved over - no FTP passwords that I've saved etc

AND the icon has not changed!! So If I need to revert to the v16 for any reasons it's not clear which version is running. A short term thing hopefully when confidence in v17 is high - but it is a nice check that I'm on the latest version.

(I do love this software - really :-) )

Turan, nice to see another Ranter at work.
    Mine was in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...584#post621584.

Auto-update - this is a totally different download into new folders, ignoring away all prior settings. Major version jumps have never been alerted. One could jimmy the system and declare a v16.4 update but deliver v17.0 but then all would complain about lost settings. Anyhow, MagiXara don't want you to spot their new version as they never message your purchase email to advise.
    Image optimisation - nice one. It complements mine within the application itself. Basically, a dog's dinner.
    Nofollow - this is at the level of the Shape and is very powerful. This is a Dear Xara we wanted: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...o-Follow-Links.
    JPEG2000 - probably won't happen - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...PEG2000-Anyone.
    Settings - I too feel your pain; it is all so easy to overlook the Backups directory and it hogging all of one's C:\ drive... ..and that is one of the trivial ones.
    The icon has not changed from version 12 - imagine how it feels for me with v12, v15, v16 & v17 all loaded?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The no follow link is used for when you point a link to a site external to your web site. It comes into play when you are being provided compensation from the other website. As an example, say you have a link to Amazon as an affiliate seller on your website then you need to use no follow. Google does not like these types of follow links and has threaten to drop ranking on sites if they do not use no follow links.

If you are a sales representative then any links to companies your represent could be interrupted as needing no follow links.

I have been asking for this for a few years.

Ray

Good to hear form you Acorn. And glad I'm not alone.
    AS an x-software engineer I'm in two camps. Dare I rant again and say that it does not feel like a major update i.e. thinks like more templates, more google fonts etc are surely not build into the application rather expansions to the library and things like the remembering of the angle (which I do like) is not a major code change! So to me it is a 16.4 anyway!!
    Good to see your list also.

Thanks RKissane for that info. Did not know about the negative issue on out-links. I'm a member of several groups (local websites) and point out to them - giving them backlinks because they link to me - you're suggesting these will be seen negatively? Or only Big corporate links like Amazon?

FTP Profiles - https://help.xara.com/article/325-ho...ogram-versions might help.
    Do let us know.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Turan Mirza View Post
    Thanks RKissane for that info. Did not know about the negative issue on out-links. I'm a member of several groups (local websites) and point out to them - giving them backlinks because they link to me - you're suggesting these will be seen negatively? Or only Big corporate links like Amazon?
    You should be fine with this type of linking, which is actually good for link building.

Google is just trying to stop follow links where the website makes money from referring people to other sites and products. Here in the states by law you are suppose to notify people if you have affiliate links and get income from them. That is why on a lot blogs you see a statement about them having affiliate links.

Ray