Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Feeling disappointed and deceived

browj2,

I´m actually glad that someone wants to defend Magix. Many of us clearly see it differently.

In the end, what ChrisM wrote says it all. If a company presents its pricing in a confusing manner and leads the buyer to believe they’re getting a better price than they are, it is bad marketing and bad for the company’s reputation.

Whether Magix is doing so intentionally or not, it is clear that a portion of their clientele misinterprets their pricing. As this happened to ss-kalm in the past, and surely I am not the second one, Magix should rethink the way it presents the numbers. It’s bad for their business.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post

I really don't want to continue on arguing this.
    then don't, it is always your choice

but yes it is good to get more than one point of view

lets replace 'scam' with 'disingenuous' a word that has several usages, for example being 'economic with the truth', or presenting information in a way that, although true in the strict sense, gives a false impression - I don't say the former applies, but the latter does [and we might well extend this to the update service]

one of the reasons that information regarding ingredients in food has to be labelled in a clear manner is to prevent it from being presented disingenuously and misleading people

compared to that, magix is small beer, but rationalise it any way you like, you will never convince me that it is not a tactic used by a company that would otherwise struggle to shift product

Read what is written in adverts, carefully. Don't make assumptions
    good advice, but here it is hindsight, borne of experience in the ways of magix; I would think that is what the OP thought they had done, which is the whole point
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is how to do a discount!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF2CD04A-5C56-4C88-B9CF-316B958FE9CE.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	126624
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

indeed; the company is well named in more ways than just graphices
    Nothing lasts forever...

xara have now stepped up to the plate: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ra-Cloud-Offer

come on magix....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sorry, just had to add this as Magix makes my point.

Name:	VPX Upgrade Sale 199.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	126626

According to most of you, Magix should be paying me $151C to get Video Pro X upgrade.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

i don't think anyone doubts your point john..
    Nothing lasts forever...

According to most of you, Magix should be paying me $151C to get Video Pro X upgrade.
    No, Magix are suggesting it bills normally people C$549. If that was the actual sales price over any prior period then all would be rosy.
    The noise from adding in products that have a value of C$X and C$Y and then immediately discounting C$(X+Y) is total hokum. Magix is trying to "give away" products it cannot sell in a normal manner to people who rarely need them anyhow.

All this does is stress customers who think the cut-off date is the end of any further offer of a reduction; all Magix then does is dust down another range of freebies.
    All one needs to do is focus on is the asking price. If, at the same time, the freebies are actually of use then you are in the money.

For XDPX, over recent aeons, the list price and the offer price has been slowly reducing as proved by the original charge I incurred on first purchase.
    All this would do for me is "make do and mend" with my existing version until the proce drops or so new features genuinely were of merit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ok maybe some one does...

seriously though... there is a difference between explaining what magix are doing... and justifying it
    Nothing lasts forever...

LOL. If the offer I saw had indicated that they would pay me, I would have been suspicious indeed and logically determined that that was not their intention. Unfortunately for me, I looked only at the software I was interested in buying. As it is not unreasonable to believe that a $10 discount off a $50 price tag is possible, I did not draw the same conclusion.

I've already said: If Magix leads even a part of its reasonably intelligent customers to misinterpret their publicity, they need to present it in another way. It's in their own interest. Otherwise, they foster bad feelings and will lose those customers.