Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Feeling disappointed and deceived

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Addendum to precious post responding to browj2:

Pursuant to your suggestion, I checked the invoice that Magix sent for my purchase. Indeed, the only charge listed is for the P&GD. PanStudio shows as $0. So, effectively the only charge is for the main software.
    That is correct. I was going to say, no problem, without Pan Studio, the price is Regularly 60$, 50$ after the 10$ discount. As you found, Pan Studio, in theory, is 0$ either way. BTW, it is a good program.

The offers for new and update change often. Take a look at the offerings for Movie Edit Pro Plus and Premium, New and Update and you'll see significant differences. For New, Plus has third party plugins (HitFilm) and a discount, Premium has none, although it has other stuff. Upgrade in both cases has a discount and third party plugins.

Sometimes, the price of Premium Upgrade with plugins is the same as that for Plus, so it pays to shop and save, shop and compare. Watch for special deals.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

The value of the other programs aside... you don't find it misleading that Magix doesn't make clear the regular prices per item and the true amount they are discounting? The publicity shows a promotional price of $49.99 (regular price $99.94). In big red letters below that, it states that until 25 March, there is a $10 discount. $10 does not occur anywhere else... in the difference of regular vs. promotional prices... in the supposed value of the apps, etc.

For me, the two offers are represented as independent... in addition to the promotional price, you get an additional $10 off if you buy before 25 March.

Whatever Magix's intention, and however it might be argued that one can tilt one's head to the left and squint while holding one's breath to understand the meaning, the fact remains that many others will interpret it the same way as I did. Most perhaps will not notice that the charge amount does not match the amount they understood. But the deception is the same.

I burn no bridges... but I am seriously considering my relationship with Magix. Unfortunate. I have enjoyed their products, paid a lot for them, and think that all-in-all they are a great value. But if the company is now into deceptive tactics, it may be time to look elsewhere.

Value is one thing, the real issue about this purchase is clarity.

If you are unhappy and haven't registered the software you should be able to get a refund if your country has distance selling regulations.

Most companies doing this kind of promotion use a coupon mechanism that the purchaser types in on checkout - this makes it clear what's going on

I have seen some companies sell discounted goods and put "Price includes discount" to make it crystal clear.

The value of the other programs aside... you don't find it misleading that Magix doesn't make clear the regular prices per item and the true amount they are discounting? The publicity shows a promotional price of $49.99 (regular price $99.94). In big red letters below that, it states that until 25 March, there is a $10 discount. $10 does not occur anywhere else... in the difference of regular vs. promotional prices... in the supposed value of the apps, etc.

For me, the two offers are represented as independent... in addition to the promotional price, you get an additional $10 off if you buy before 25 March.

Whatever Magix's intention, and however it might be argued that one can tilt one's head to the left and squint while holding one's breath to understand the meaning, the fact remains that many others will interpret it the same way as I did. Most perhaps will not notice that the charge amount does not match the amount they understood. But the deception is the same.

I burn no bridges... but I am seriously considering my relationship with Magix. Unfortunate. I have enjoyed their products, paid a lot for them, and think that all-in-all they are a great value. But if the company is now into deceptive tactics, it may be time to look elsewhere.
    The same "scam" caught me with P&GD9 a few years ago. I'm wise to it now.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Value is one thing, the real issue about this purchase is clarity.

If you are unhappy and haven't registered the software you should be able to get a refund if your country has distance selling regulations.

Most companies doing this kind of promotion use a coupon mechanism that the purchaser types in on checkout - this makes it clear what's going on

I have seen some companies sell discounted goods and put "Price includes discount" to make it crystal clear.
    Thanks, pauland.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I spent quite a bit of time watching the tutorials for P&GD and learning the functionality (admittedly, very quickly). I really like the program. On the other hand, it must be said that the proper tutorials ended back in 2017, when the Xara mentality was still prevalent. Magix seems to be squandering a very loyal user base by not developing and fostering the Xara desktop line. And now with questionable sales tactics...

On the advice I've received here, I have decided to request a reimbursement for the software. This is definitely not because of the $10. (I would have probably paid more if the price was made clear). It is more the lack of confidence I am feeling right now in the company. Besides, the new version 17 will be out soon, and the debugged version 17 a bit afterwards. At that point, I will reconsider the purchase. Perhaps my frame of mind will improve.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The same "scam" caught me with P&GD9 a few years ago. I'm wise to it now.
    Thanks ss.

Me too, now. I guess we live and learn.

As you indicate, the "promotional price of $49.99.." is the price that you pay.

@ss-kalm: What scam is there in stating the price that you will actually pay? It is the "promotional price."
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Regardless of all the convoluted math to try and find a $10.00 discount some other way, they specifically state ... $49.99 - Valid until March 25, 2020 - $10.00 discount ... Nowhere in the add does it say regularly $59.99, so it implies that it's $49.99, but until March 25, 2020 there's a $10.00 discount.

It's really not fair to include the value of something that people don't want that's thrown in free to calculate a $10 discount.

The way I read that ad, (have read in the past, and still read - even knowing it's not true) the price should be $39.99 and that's what I would have (and did - except the Canadian equivalent) expected to pay.

Personally, I'd rather they said it's $49.99 but if you don't want this FREE software we're including with it, we'll knock another $10.00 off.

I've had offers where they have included Photo managers and other software that I didn't want and I've never even bothered to install them because they are useless (read that as valueless) to me. If I'd have wanted other software I'd have bought it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Good marketing instils confidence in the product/company.
    Bad marketing leaves a customer feeling deceived and subsequently devalues the product/company.

I haven't used Xara long enough to have any nostalgia or brand loyalty. I use Xara because I like the product.
    I don't know, and nor do I care, who creates/maintains the product and who markets the product. However, if I didn't know how to stop the nag screens I would be actively looking for alternatives, and if ever the yearly update becomes too much of a circus I shall also begin the hunt for an alternative.

The above isn't a stab at anyone, or anything, it's just the way I work with regards to any supplier of any product. I have changed email clients, office suites, DAWs and video editors. The average customer has no problem in jumping ship for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Regardless of all the convoluted math to try and find a $10.00 discount some other way, they specifically state ... $49.99 - Valid until March 25, 2020 - $10.00 discount ... Nowhere in the add does it say regularly $59.99, so it implies that it's $49.99, but until March 25, 2020 there's a $10.00 discount.

It's really not fair to include the value of something that people don't want that's thrown in free to calculate a $10 discount.

The way I read that ad, (have read in the past, and still read - even knowing it's not true) the price should be $39.99 and that's what I would have (and did - except the Canadian equivalent) expected to pay.

Personally, I'd rather they said it's $49.99 but if you don't want this FREE software we're including with it, we'll knock another $10.00 off.

I've had offers where they have included Photo managers and other software that I didn't want and I've never even bothered to install them because they are useless (read that as valueless) to me. If I'd have wanted other software I'd have bought it.
    Hi Keith,

Look at the advert in the first thread. Right beside the price, in bold, of $49.99, it says "Regularly $99.94."
    Below that it gives the details - $10 discount, Pan Studio "$39.95 value." Do the math.

As I stated once before, if you don't want Pan Studio, then fine, the promotional price is still $49.99.

I expect to pay the price that is quoted, not to have to do some arithmetic to figure it out. You are falsely expecting a discount on the discounted price with the actual price remaining a mystery until checkout. If Magix was offering a discount at checkout, it would be written differently, probably with a discount code to be used upon checkout and it would be up to you to actually apply it. Magix often does this.

On the Magix site for Xara P&GD, click on Update to see the price. It is $39.99US - after the $20 discount shown. By your thinking, one should be paying $19.99. Not right.

To expand on that a bit, if they said that the promotional price was $50, the regular price $140, less Pan Studio $40, less a $50 discount, would you be expecting to pay nothing?

Since you said that you almost got caught in this "scam" I can only assume that you avoided it by waiting until Magix removed the discount and put the price back to $59.99. Saved from the scam of having to pay less money.

Then, of course, you would probably be upset because you missed the promotion, just like those on the Magix Samplitude forum who saw the price for Samplitude Pro X Suite offered at $149 for months and then complained when it went to $199. But, Magix stated that it was a promotional price with a $50 discount and good until a certain date. Some users complained that the $149 was actually the price and the discount was just a marketing ploy because Magix should have had periods when there was no promotion. Well, surprise, surprise! One day, not long ago when the deadline passed, no more discount. Now the users complained that this wasn't fair, Magix raised the price before they could take advantage of the discount, etc. Seems like not everybody can be pleased.

I really don't want to continue on arguing this. Read what is written in adverts, carefully. Don't make assumptions. If you don't understand something about the pricing or what is being offered or whatever, ask here on the forum or ask Magix, before purchasing.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)