Yesterday I posted a request to talkgraphics members for advice concerning Xara Photo & Graphics Designer. This is a follow-up.

Magix is currently advertising a special offer for new purchase of $49.99 (Regularly $99.94). Below additional text, it is specified that there is a $10 discount that is valid until March 25, 2020. I’m posting a screenshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PG&D publicity.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	126615

When I saw this promotion yesterday morning, I immediately downloaded the free trial and began experimenting, reading the old Xara Outsider tutorials, and basically dedicating my entire day to deciding whether or not the app would meet my needs.

This morning (25 March), I went on line to make the purchase. I confirmed that the promotion was the same and went through the process. Unfortunately, I neglected to confirm the prices in the process.

Result: I was charged the special offer price without the $10 discount that is offered.

I sent a message immediately to Magix explaining the issue and requesting reimbursement for the discount.

I have already received their response: The discount is already included in the price. It is not deducted extra.

I am admittedly a bit perturbed. This feels to me like a blatantly misleading promise. The price and the discount are not exhibited as the same thing on their page. There is no asterisk indicating that the discount is included in the promotional price. And the fact that the difference between the regular and promotional price is $49.95, not $10, leads one not to assume that they are the same thing.

I recognize that $10 is not a big deal, but I feel very misled. It is the principal more than anything.

So, this post is 1) to warn everyone to be careful in dealing with Magix now, as they seem to be implementing dishonest practices, 2) to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience, 3) to ask opinions of my recourse. (I can apparently cancel the subscription up to 14 days after purchase. Would you cancel on principal? By the way, there are other photo editing options available, so I wouldn’t be cutting off my nose to spite my face.)

Thanks for any input.