Thanks, Acorn.

As always, I really appreciate your response.

I downloaded the P&GD software yesterday, as a free trial. I registered the copy with the trial serial number. I haven’t registered the serial number associated with the paid subscription yet… too busy smoldering in my disappointment, I suppose. So I’m really glad I read your response before doing so. The confirmation email lists only “MAGIX Photo & Graphic Designer” as the product… without a version number specified. Nevertheless, the link included shows a url directed to version 16. I’m not sure how it will work if I wait to register until I have downloaded v17, so I will perhaps get in touch with Magix, as you suggest, to find out what they will consider my fall-back version.

I installed the Affinity Photo 90-day trial version last week when someone on talkgraphics mentioned the 50% promotion they have until 20 April. I followed a number of the tutorials, and it looks quite good. The disadvantages are 1) that P&GD includes graphics, which is a separate module in Affinity that is purchased independently, and 2) I have so much experience with Xara WDP that learning the interface is zero work… in fact, a subset of the photo and graphics options are already familiar to me as part of WDP.

I actually installed Inkscape (desktop) and GIMP several years ago when I started developing our website. I played around a little with them, but was concentrating more on learning website development. I think it may be time to revisited both.

It seems that I have a bit of thinking to do in the coming days to decide which course of action to take.

Again, many thanks.
Greg