Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug V17.0.0 - Paragraph Border & Background Settings Dialog

Dear Xara...

Why is the Paragraph Border & Background Settings Dialog modal?
    Surely any XDA designer can see that its use is hampered by focussing on adjoining selected paragraphs.

Bug - The XDA locks if you try and create a Named colour through the Background Colour Edit button.

Bug - Using the Selector Tool to pick the entire Text Area and Edit either Colour - if you pick Custom, you end up changing the Text Fill colour.

Bug - Editing either Colour does not interact with the chosen display; you have to repick the Colour Editor dropdown to force it.

Bug - I attach the following in testing the above and after several crashes, it got stuck with different border colours where L & R are pale unchanging green.

Xara-v17dot0 - Para Colour Whiddles.xar

An interesting use of embedded SVGs; I can see this being developed much further. The SVG blocks need to be Named.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: V17.0.0 - Paragraph Border & Background Settings Dialog

Thanks Acorn, I'll take a look into these.

I've logged the first issue, thank you for bringing this to our attention. The other issues however I can't seem to replicate?

Secondly, in your attached example you have 1 border which is a different colour to the others, which technically isn't support yet, how did you do that?

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I've logged the first issue, thank you for bringing this to our attention. The other issues however I can't seem to replicate?

Secondly, in your attached example you have 1 border which is a different colour to the others, which technically isn't support yet, how did you do that?

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob, I am sure it is how I tried to use it. You may have a different route. When I get the opportunity, I will try and better document what hiccoughed.

I don't know how the coloured borders came about; it just did it after a number of crashes. Again, I will try and recreate it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Bug Re: V17.0.0 - Paragraph Border & Background Settings Dialog

OK, here we go in trying to use and understand the new Paragraph Border & Background Settings Dialog.

It only appears in a Context Menu:

• Any tool other than Text > Right-click, though some require two click, so stick with the Selector tool.
    • Text tool > Cursor in a Paragraph > Right-click.
    • Correction, you also hid it within a Key shortcut: Shift+Alt+B.
    • You didn't add it to a sub-menu.
    • You didn't create a button for it.

You made it modal:
    • Right-clicking on a Border or Paragraph Background fails to select that paragraph, switch to the Text tool and open the Dialog.
    • If I open with the Selector tool, you have no indication that any setting have been applied.
    • Bug - When I perform this operation with a previously modded paragraph surrounded by a number of plain ones and ending in a new line, the addition of a Border is applied to the plain ones but the blank line took on a green border of an unknown with and a Background Colour of my first applied colour.

No changes are evident until the OK button is clicked.

• Bug - You have to open the Colour Editor then repick the required colour to be changed before it becomes interactive. I can only do this for the Background Colour.
    • If you change the Default colour, all appears well until your next edit as the chosen colour is lost. All too confusing with Default/Custom and None/custom.

​There is no explanation for the Sides dimension after picking a Border Width. Again, no interaction.

Bug - You cannot set everything back to no border and None from the Selector tool pick. what you set up before sticks.

Paste Attributes fails unless you select the entire paragraph or the last character and highlight to the right and Copy.

I am sorry. I can break it in so many ways but can not use it meaningfully.
    The lack of interaction makes it pointless.

Acorn

The window "Paragraph Border & Background Settings" is in need of "Apply" button (without closing window). Even better if it were the changes appear immediately after you select a particular option. Without the "Apply" button ... like back in the last century.