Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What type of program

I used to have a program that you could scan a page into your computer and then it would take the jpeg and read it so that it would give you the text. I need such a program again but for the life of me I can't remember what kind of program it was. If anyone could tell me so I can get one again it would be appreciated. I have a whole lot of pages that I need to get done. Sorry this isn't about Xara but what I scan will be used in Xara.

Thanx

Gypsyjoe

Default Re: What type of program

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    I used to have a program that you could scan a page into your computer and then it would take the jpeg and read it so that it would give you the text. I need such a program again but for the life of me I can't remember what kind of program it was. If anyone could tell me so I can get one again it would be appreciated. I have a whole lot of pages that I need to get done. Sorry this isn't about Xara but what I scan will be used in Xara.

Thanx

Gypsyjoe
    This might easier for you if your printer/scanner has the option to export a PDF direct to your PC (luckily I have one and the process is straight-forward). Certainly with v16 & v17 (and likely earlier versions too), you can simply open a PDF direct from Xara; thereafter you can edit any of the content. I use Xara to make simple edits to PDFs all the time. You can export the changed doc in a PDF; options for draft, high res and commercial printing, plus a myriad of additional options.

Gary

I think you're looking for an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program.

No recommendations from me, I'm afraid.

Good luck.

Hi Joe,

I use this software and they have a nice offer (from TechSmith): https://discover.techsmith.com/remote-techsmith/ .

SnagIt: https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap00 5-2-2020.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	126938

It might help. Cheers
    ~Fred

many business oriented scanners come with OCR as a bundled option -this, as gary says, usually enables you to scan text to an editable PDF, though it has to be said it is not automatically the case that all scanned PDFs will be editable

my brother scanner comes with PaperPort OCR, in the past I have used Abbyy Fine Reader

both ok, given the limitations of the process
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for your replies, OCR is what I was looking for! As soon as I looked at the thread I knew that was it and went out and downloaded a program. It works excellent thank you everyone for the quick response as it has already got the project started and will save me a whole lot of typing.

it has already got the project started and will save me a whole lot of typing.
    But don't forget to proofread carefully. OCR scans depending on how clear the text is can make mistakes.

absolutely

never have I ever had one [of any length] 100% correct
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yis yew half too which thit velly cafely
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host