Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Web Designing with Xara Designer Pro 17 (Anyone download version 17)

yes

I took mantra in it's ironic sense

xara hold wysiwyg as a positive marketing feature; it is easy for those not versed in website building [eg me]

if this is not compatible with true responsiveness - I have to take your expert view on this - it is what I see as the price you pay for wysiwyg
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Web Designing with Xara Designer Pro 17 (Anyone download version 17)

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes

I took mantra in it's ironic sense

xara hold wysiwyg as a positive marketing feature; it is easy for those not versed in website building [eg me]

if this is not compatible with true responsiveness - I have to take your expert view on this - it is what I see as the price you pay for wysiwyg
    Well, it's not just my view, expert or otherwise.

The whole point about responsive design is that the layout changes as the available space changes (ie a fluid layout) - specifically the width. WYSIWYG design does not change to use the available width (a fixed layout), but adaptive design substitutes fixed layouts according to the width at specific breakpoints. Often responsive layouts use breakpoints also to substitute fluid layouts because what is a good layout at one width is not appropriate at all widths.

Well, it's not just my view, expert or otherwise.
    yes [again]

I am not arguing with you paul, exactly the opposite

my point was that xara is marketing towards those that see wysiwyg as the simple ['easy'] solution - which comes at a price re responsivness [lack of]

I understand what you are saying..
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm aware that while we may be exchanging messages and you may understand, a better explanation helps others reading them that do not - ie it's not all about you!

I am here to help people paul - as I like to think we all are

I don't think the point you made was ever in doubt

you chose to say 'mantra' in a particular context

I just followed that through... no worries
    Nothing lasts forever...

Not true, there are quite a few wysiwyg web builders that are responsive, I have tried Adobe Muse (discontinued) Mobirise and a couple of others. I loved Muse but Adobe have discontinued support so I have been trying everything lately. I just wish Web Designer would allow me to add breakpoints where I want them, then it would be just right.

I just wish Web Designer would allow me to add breakpoints where I want them, then it would be just right.
    Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do/achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by peebee44 View Post
    Not true, there are quite a few wysiwyg web builders that are responsive, I have tried Adobe Muse (discontinued) Mobirise and a couple of others. I loved Muse but Adobe have discontinued support so I have been trying everything lately. I just wish Web Designer would allow me to add breakpoints where I want them, then it would be just right.
    Well WYSIWYG implies that the page visitor sees the page exactly how you laid it out. That is not guaranteed in responsive layouts that adjust to the width available to them. It is true for Xara since it uses fixed sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you are trying to do/achieve?
    Pretty sure we're thinking the same thing here.