Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Designer Pro X

We’ve just released an Update Service update to Xara Designer Pro X. New features include new heading & para styles (backgrounds and borders), support for tab leaders, a first release of InDesign import (this is BETA and your feedback will be *very* welcome, it will help us prioritize our ongoing development of this new format), as well as updates to all the other major import/export formats, and some web related changes that should help with SEO.

You can find a summary of these and other new features & content on our website @ https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/ and full details on all the v17 updates in the Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/designer-pro-x17/. Don’t read too much into the version number change, this is driven by retail channel considerations, not necessarily a reflection on the substance of the update.

Important: If you have an active Update Service there will be no charge for the update but you will still need to re-download Designer Pro from https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/download/ - there will be no auto-update.

If your Update Service has expired then you can renew your Update Service / upgrade in order to get this and other updates since your version (go to the Designer Pro page on magix.com and click Upgrade). You can find info on those previous updates at https://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/older/. You can install the v17 trial alongside your current version.

And as always you can find separate info on what’s new in Xara Cloud @ https://docs.xara.com/latest-updates.

We hope you enjoy the new features.

Kate Moir @ Xara

Default Re: JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Designer Pro X

Kate, thank you for the detail of the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Don’t read too much into the version number change, this is driven by retail channel considerations...
    ...there will be no auto-update.
    This neglects to mention that all changes to settings and toolbar layouts, change of location of the Cache and many other user adjustments all go by the wayside.

Neither do you mention that you have set the licence servers to no longer allow two installs of the prior major version to continue running with an install of v17.0. You might no think this important but the Xara past record of new releases has rarely been smooth and your Customers have had to regress to the earlier "working" version to republish existing websites.

Thank you for Image Filenames. I see that multiple copies on the page only require one uploaded image.
    It is a pity that the simple rotation of an image or scaling or a Live Copy requires it to be numbered.
    No one thought about adding the Image Filename option to the Photo pop-up.
    Or some tie up with the Name gallery and the Page & Layer gallery.
    Perhaps the next update?

I am pleased that the SmartShape Table link issue appears to have been fixed. I note the distinct notice of any changes or improvements to any SmartShapes.

I have noted issues with the new Paragraph Borders elsewhere.

I know you expect the Xara Desktop application to just work and that you hide all the nitty-gritty away from us. The problem comes when there has been a bug that is then fixed. We have limited information about what the fix does so we end up hunting and pecking to be really sure we can now use the feature as intended.
    What I am asking for here is more detail behind the fixes.

I look forward to working through the changes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Kate - I just tried to download this update and was blocked by Malwarebytes. When I tried to override the block and clicked Save File Malwarebytes blocked the save.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Neither do you mention that you have set the licence servers to no longer allow two installs of the prior major version to continue running with an install of v17.0. You might no think this important but the Xara past record of new releases has rarely been smooth and your Customers have had to regress to the earlier "working" version to republish existing websites.
    The license shouldn't take up another copy, previous versions should still be activated and if not this is a bug which I'll take a look into.

Thanks
    Rob

Thumbs down Re: JUST RELEASED: An update to Xara Designer Pro X

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    The license shouldn't take up another copy, previous versions should still be activated and if not this is a bug which I'll take a look into.
    Thanks Rob
    "Screenshot" of the Magix Product details.
    Xara-Activations.xar

When I try to re-activate v16 on my laptop, I have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-03-17 10.21.47 (Modded).png 
Views:	333 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	126552

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I can replicate this on my home PC (although not my work one...) so something does seem off, although I'm not sure what is triggering the re-activating. I'm in contact with Magix so I'll let you know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I can replicate this on my home PC (although not my work one...) so something does seem off, although I'm not sure what is triggering the re-activating. I'm in contact with Magix so I'll let you know either way.
    Rob, glad it's not just me then.

Acorn

Hmm, the 'upgrades' seem to be getting smaller and smaller each year. Having had every version since the Beta of Studio, I don't think I'll rush to buy this one.
    James Kelly

Please keep this chat related to the release. You can start your own post to discuss websites in the web chat forums

Thank you Rob.
    +1
    ~Fred