Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Snap to mid-point

How to snap to the mid-point of a line? I cannot found snap setting beside the end point.

Info Re: Snap to mid-point

A Xara straight line has no mid-point as it can be transformed into a curved one at any time.

Clone and Rotate 900. The crossing is the mid-point, to which you can Snap.
    Clone and Scale 50%. Align end point. Mid-point is then the other end of the halved line.

The mid-point of a curved line is far more intriguing.
    You could add a Point and Break there and keep approximating as. as each Line or segment has a Perimeter (P).
    I would make a Text Column of pattern 1234567890 and then Fit Text to Curve. Count the numbers along the line and halve to get to the mid-point.
    Accurate to about 5px but could be improved.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Snap to mid-point

Another way is create a rectangle with the same length as the line and find the mid point of that by selecting and where the center is put a guide and that will be the be the center or mid point of your line
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Another way is create a rectangle with the same length as the line and find the mid point of that by selecting and where the center is put a guide and that will be the be the center or mid point of your line
    Thank you for the recommendation, but if my line is not horizontal or vertical, I need to rotate the rectangle and align to the line, this is counter intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A Xara straight line has no mid-point as it can be transformed into a curved one at any time.

Clone and Rotate 900. The crossing is the mid-point, to which you can Snap.
    Clone and Scale 50%. Align end point. Mid-point is then the other end of the halved line.

The mid-point of a curved line is far more intriguing.
    You could add a Point and Break there and keep approximating as. as each Line or segment has a Perimeter (P).
    I would make a Text Column of pattern 1234567890 and then Fit Text to Curve. Count the numbers along the line and halve to get to the mid-point.
    Accurate to about 5px but could be improved.

Acorn
    Thank you, but that workaround sounds too complex to me, and reduce efficiency significantly if I need to snap to multiple mid-points.

In CorelDRAW I can snap to mid-point on a line or bezier curve in a snap.

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

There is a paradigm shift when you ken the Xara way and it all falls into place.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have spent some time writing a tutorial but on my version at least (XDP16) just selecting the line and converting to editable shapes shows the bullseye in the center anyway so really I didn't need to do anything.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Acorn
    No we're not but I do have to go there from time to time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

@ Flim
    Complex...
    ~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I have spent some time writing a tutorial but on my version at least (XDP16) just selecting the line and converting to editable shapes shows the bullseye in the center anyway so really I didn't need to do anything.
    Q - When is a Line not a Line? A- When it's an Editable Shape. Ha-ha-ha.

Try bending it.

Acorn