Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you trim the page down to the contents in Photo & Graphic Designer?

Hey all,

All I want to do is create an object, maybe a button or text label, and then reduce the page down to the object so that it saves without all the white space. I've been 3 hours trying to find out how to do it. Fireworks had a single shortcut to "Trim Canvas" but I can't find how to do it in Xara. I've been googling "trim canvas", "resize page to content", "crop page to objects" and every other combination you can think of! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Info Re: How do you trim the page down to the contents in Photo & Graphic Designer?

Tim, Utilities > Options > Page Size > Paper > untick Lock page size.

You then get a cyan dashed line at page bottom, which you can drag with the Selector tool.
    The page right edge has a similar action.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: How do you trim the page down to the contents in Photo & Graphic Designer?

do you mean save. as in save as a xar/web file, or export to another file type

in xara objects are independent of the page

EDIT - ok I think acorn may have got there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: How do you trim the page down to the contents in Photo & Graphic Designer?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tim, Utilities > Options > Page Size > Paper > untick Lock page size.

You then get a cyan dashed line at page bottom, which you can drag with the Selector tool.
    The page right edge has a similar action.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn. The "Lock page size wasn't checked". I'd tried dragging the cyan dotted line up but that resizes the objects on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    do you mean save. as in save as a xar/web file, or export to another file type

in xara objects are independent of the page

EDIT - ok I think acorn may have got there
    Let's say I want a circle with a 100px diameter. I create an A4 page and draw my circle. I want to then trim the page down to 100x100 so I export a 100x100 GIF and not an A4 size GIF with a tiny circle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamslay View Post
    Thanks Acorn. The "Lock page size wasn't checked". I'd tried dragging the cyan dotted line up but that resizes the objects on the page.
    Doesn't on mine.

Have you looked at your Auto-fit to Page settings?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

make sure you have selected what you want to export before you export and then in the export dialog on the bitmap size tab, make sure 'selection' option is selected - if you do not select first it may default to the whole page
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Doesn't on mine.

Have you looked at your Auto-fit to Page settings?

Acorn
    I hadn't. "Auto-fit all objects" was checked. Thanks.

However, dragging the lines doesn't seem to do much, I can drag it past the object and the object doesn't move. I think I need a tutorial on what the grey and cyan lines mean!

acorn is referring to resizing the actual page...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    make sure you have selected what you want to export before you export and then in the export dialog on the bitmap size tab, make sure 'selection' option is selected - if you do not select first it may default to the whole page
    OK, so I just exported without selecting anything and it automatically trimmed the page down to the circle, which is great. Fireworks would have exported the whole blank page unless the canvas was trimmed. However, I now wonder how I would export the whole page...