Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: The Xara Desktop Applications with and without the Update Service

This is all very hypothetical.

I am not sure what the answer is. My guess is you should be able to get back to your last update. But that is theoretical.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropaViewer View Post
    Really apologize if this has been answered, but I looked at the excellent posts and Acorn's page as well.
    Here's my scenario:
    1. Say, I purchased XDPX in 2018) (I will call it XDPX Version 16)
    2. Say I have been using the update service every year, with the $129 update/renewal fee.
    3. Let's say in 2021, I don't renew.
    4. Now for some reason, I have to re-install XDPX on my new laptop, since my old is now dead.
    Question: So, am I now going to get the 4 year old XDPX Version 16 ?? Even though I paid for 3 years worth of upgrades ?
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    This is all very hypothetical.
    I am not sure what the answer is. My guess is you should be able to get back to your last update. But that is theoretical.
    EuropaViewer, Xara is quite clear in the EULA that a purchase rolls back to the version of that purchase (actually registration) date so if you renew when version 18.1 comes out in the hypothetical future, you would be able to reactivate a fresh install to v18.1, v18.0, ..., all the way back to v16, if those downloads were still available.

You might have to ask Magix or Xara for the appropriate download link. You may need v16.3 on one install as the device is low on memory or a series of later bugs totally trash your design(s).
    If you press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+1 in your XDA, you will see its Serial number.
    Another location would be in C:\ProgramData\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\[version_number]\installation_x64.ini, which is better as you can copy it out.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you!

From Xara's page: https://shared.xara.com/diNpZUgi2O/
    (I bolded for emphasis from copy/paste below)

What happens to the Update Service after 365 days?
    1. Do nothing, the Update Service expires and you will no longer receive any new features. The feature updates you have installed over the past 365 days will continue to run indefinitely, HOWEVER if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased.

["Last purchase": This is where my confusion. Is last purchase the original purchase? (say in 2018), OR, is it the last renewal, say in 2020?]

2. Renew the Update Service. Your perpetual license will now be for the version current on the day of renewal. In addition, you will continue to get access to new feature and content updates for the next 365 days after renewal.

[#2 above seems to indicate that the date of renewal resets the clock. So, if I renewed in 2020, and then don't renew in 2021 or 2022, and if I had to re-install in 2023, I should at least get the 2020 major version, and not the 2018 version, which was the date of the original purchase]

Sorry, I know, I am probably not making sense. Grr. :-)

That's how I've understood it. Renewal "buys" the current version on the renewal date. Renewal effectively re-registers the software. But I could be wrong.

From the Website:
    Update Service:
    2.Renew the Update Service. Your perpetual license will now be for the version current on the day of renewal. In addition, you will continue to get access to new feature and content updates for the next 365 days after renewal.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

@EuropaViewer, exactly as Steve (@ss-kalm) and I have said, your last purchase/renewal (registration) date.
    The fact you have bought a new version through an update path is immaterial. It is a contract.
    Your registration date sets the clock.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Steve (@ss-kalm)
    That would be Keith ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    That would be Keith ...
    Keith, sincere apologies.

Acorn

So what I'm reading is that I bought/upgraded to V17 and that upgrade service is due to expire soon.

I've just upgraded to V18 and it begs a question like @EuropaViewer - If you re-install it goes back to your last purchased version.

So what happens after I've upgraded to V18, within the update service period and then have to re-install? The way I'm reading this is that V17 is the best I can get.

But this leads to another major issue in that any files created or saved in a newer version may be crippled if opened in an older version. For example my website, developed in V16 then V17, and now modified in V18 now complains if I open it in V17 with an error dialog of "Warning from Xara Designer Pro X. This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored. Technical details (4650)". So that means I can no longer use my website xar with V17 with any sense of reliability or guarantee of compatibility.

Surely if you updated to V18 during the update service you should be able to re-install the V18 version that you had when the update service expired. If the files are not backwards-compatible then there are serious implications about upgrading to a newer version during the update service period.

acorn will no doubt give you chapter and verse on this, especially backwards compatibility

but I will just say that actually, xara/magix are not the only company that 'allow you to use a later version than the one you actually paid for whilst you are paying for something else'

In the case of toonboom, for example, that something else would be a support contract

In xara/magix' case it is an 'update service' - most here would beef that in magix case the updates are few and far between and given the small print re the actual program updates it would be better called something else 'added value service' maybe, I dunno...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by vfrvulcan View Post
    So what I'm reading is that I bought/upgraded to V17 and that upgrade service is due to expire soon.

I've just upgraded to V18 and it begs a question like @EuropaViewer - If you re-install it goes back to your last purchased version.

So what happens after I've upgraded to V18, within the update service period and then have to re-install? The way I'm reading this is that V17 is the best I can get.

But this leads to another major issue in that any files created or saved in a newer version may be crippled if opened in an older version. For example my website, developed in V16 then V17, and now modified in V18 now complains if I open it in V17 with an error dialog of "Warning from Xara Designer Pro X. This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored. Technical details (4650)". So that means I can no longer use my website xar with V17 with any sense of reliability or guarantee of compatibility.

Surely if you updated to V18 during the update service you should be able to re-install the V18 version that you had when the update service expired. If the files are not backwards-compatible then there are serious implications about upgrading to a newer version during the update service period.
    vfrvulcan, chapter and verse follows...

When you renew/upgrade a Magix Xara Desktop application (XDA), your roll-back version is the one that was published at the time your register your purchase. Technically, you could register a long time after the purchase date.

If you bought XDPX version 10 and then upgraded yesterday to version 18 and registered on 10 April 2021, your roll-back would be to Xara Designer Pro X 18.0.0.61642 DL x64 Mar 18 2021.
    Possibly, if Xara released a Patch fix to this version and then an upgrade version in August, your roll-back could be to the Patch version. This has only happened once that I can recall.

It does not matter what your initial purchase version was or is, only what was available at your registration date.

I develop in XPro+v21.0 & XDPXv18.0 and re-edit in versions as far back as version 10.
    Although Xara flags them as Errors, the data listed are normally trivial and can safely be ignored.

If you open the Name gallery, you may see an entry like templateMinProgramVersion:15.1.0.
    This effectively states an earlier version will not have the full functionality of an XDA of a version above v15.1.
    Again, you may have 90% of the functions still working and in very rare occasions only get a static group that is editable but does not have any of the hyped capability.

MagiXara are only offering tasters of any version above your registration one.
    Always ensure you have your two licensed instances installed so if one is trashed and you are forced to roll-back to your registered one then you have a fall-back for the rare occurrence you posed.
    It is far more likely that the bugs Xara fixes as it updates will be back and you have no get-out clause.
    This is the major failing MagiXara has with its Update Service and why I switched to XPro+.

My P3-serial number is register with Magix for Xara Designer Pro X11 with an Update Service expiry on 03 June 2021.
    Should either of my installed v17.1 or v18.0 require re-installing now, I wold only get a v18.1 download for Magix. Xara used to offer access to all earlier versions.
    I could and would insist for a v17.1 if I though v18.0 was too buggy to use.
    After 03 June coming, my install of either would be to v17.0.0.58732 around 12/03/2020.

I would and can still use v17.1 & v18.0 until the cows come home - a machine breaks, MS implodes or my disk trashes - all real events that have happened.

Acorn