Quote Originally Posted by vfrvulcan View Post
So what I'm reading is that I bought/upgraded to V17 and that upgrade service is due to expire soon.

I've just upgraded to V18 and it begs a question like @EuropaViewer - If you re-install it goes back to your last purchased version.

So what happens after I've upgraded to V18, within the update service period and then have to re-install? The way I'm reading this is that V17 is the best I can get.

But this leads to another major issue in that any files created or saved in a newer version may be crippled if opened in an older version. For example my website, developed in V16 then V17, and now modified in V18 now complains if I open it in V17 with an error dialog of "Warning from Xara Designer Pro X. This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored. Technical details (4650)". So that means I can no longer use my website xar with V17 with any sense of reliability or guarantee of compatibility.

Surely if you updated to V18 during the update service you should be able to re-install the V18 version that you had when the update service expired. If the files are not backwards-compatible then there are serious implications about upgrading to a newer version during the update service period.
vfrvulcan, chapter and verse follows...

When you renew/upgrade a Magix Xara Desktop application (XDA), your roll-back version is the one that was published at the time your register your purchase. Technically, you could register a long time after the purchase date.

If you bought XDPX version 10 and then upgraded yesterday to version 18 and registered on 10 April 2021, your roll-back would be to Xara Designer Pro X 18.0.0.61642 DL x64 Mar 18 2021.
Possibly, if Xara released a Patch fix to this version and then an upgrade version in August, your roll-back could be to the Patch version. This has only happened once that I can recall.

It does not matter what your initial purchase version was or is, only what was available at your registration date.

I develop in XPro+v21.0 & XDPXv18.0 and re-edit in versions as far back as version 10.
Although Xara flags them as Errors, the data listed are normally trivial and can safely be ignored.

If you open the Name gallery, you may see an entry like templateMinProgramVersion:15.1.0.
This effectively states an earlier version will not have the full functionality of an XDA of a version above v15.1.
Again, you may have 90% of the functions still working and in very rare occasions only get a static group that is editable but does not have any of the hyped capability.

MagiXara are only offering tasters of any version above your registration one.
Always ensure you have your two licensed instances installed so if one is trashed and you are forced to roll-back to your registered one then you have a fall-back for the rare occurrence you posed.
It is far more likely that the bugs Xara fixes as it updates will be back and you have no get-out clause.
This is the major failing MagiXara has with its Update Service and why I switched to XPro+.

My P3-serial number is register with Magix for Xara Designer Pro X11 with an Update Service expiry on 03 June 2021.
Should either of my installed v17.1 or v18.0 require re-installing now, I wold only get a v18.1 download for Magix. Xara used to offer access to all earlier versions.
I could and would insist for a v17.1 if I though v18.0 was too buggy to use.
After 03 June coming, my install of either would be to v17.0.0.58732 around 12/03/2020.

I would and can still use v17.1 & v18.0 until the cows come home - a machine breaks, MS implodes or my disk trashes - all real events that have happened.

Acorn