Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Info The Xara Desktop Applications with and without the Update Service

browj2 and I decided to join forces and explain to the best of our outsider knowledge how the Xara Update Service works and how you can make the best of it.

Here is our document that we hope puts a positive view of the Update Service: http://acorn.xara.hosting/xda/.
    As TG has a low file size for PDFs, I have included a PDF download within the website's pages.

Here is the design file for you to keep and add your own insights:Xara Desktop Applications & Update Service.xar.

It just shows how versatile your XDA is: the design file is 361 kB; the PDF is 3.76 MB and the website clocks 0.47 MB (discounting the PDF).

Acorn & browj2
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: The Xara Desktop Applications with and without the Update Service

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

WD only comes in 64 bit now, we don't produce any 32 bit versions.

I mean doesn't change much but still

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    WD only comes in 64 bit now, we don't produce any 32 bit versions.
    I mean doesn't change much but still
    Head slap. Of course it must - same codebase.
    Edited in website and PDF but not TG upload.

Thanks.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 16 March 2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Rob

b
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Thanks for that.

Two thumbs up. Great resource. Thanks, both, for your effort and for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    browj2 and I decided to join forces and explain to the best of our outsider knowledge how the Xara Update Service works and how you can make the best of it.

Here is our document that we hope puts a positive view of the Update Service: http://acorn.xara.hosting/xda/.
    As TG has a low file size for PDFs, I have included a PDF download within the website's pages.

Here is the design file for you to keep and add your own insights:Xara Desktop Applications & Update Service.xar.

It just shows how versatile your XDA is: the design file is 361 kB; the PDF is 3.76 MB and the website clocks 0.47 MB (discounting the PDF).

Acorn & browj2
    Thanks much, great job.
    I run programs like Xara in a virtual machine. To back it up is to just copy the VM's folder. I keep a couple of the latest versions on a NAS. I do some program development, so use VMWare's Workstation Pro ($$) so I can have snapshots. Their Player version is free and, after a learning curve, easy to use. They even have a stand alone program to make a VM from a system. There are other VM programs, mostly free. I prefer to host on a Linux system but that is not a requirement. The only advantage of that is that Linux breaks stuff with updates less often than W10 does.
    If I decide not to renew the upgrade service, I can just back up the latest VM in case of a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by louyo View Post
    Thanks much, great job.
    I run programs like Xara in a virtual machine. To back it up is to just copy the VM's folder. I keep a couple of the latest versions on a NAS. I do some program development, so use VMWare's Workstation Pro ($$) so I can have snapshots. Their Player version is free and, after a learning curve, easy to use. They even have a stand alone program to make a VM from a system. There are other VM programs, mostly free. I prefer to host on a Linux system but that is not a requirement. The only advantage of that is that Linux breaks stuff with updates less often than W10 does.
    If I decide not to renew the upgrade service, I can just back up the latest VM in case of a failure.
    Thanks for your details on VMs. I started on VirtualBox and MS's one but my user profile is corrupt so I am porting things across to a new account before knuckling down.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by louyo View Post
    Thanks much, great job.
    From the way you talk if I run virtual machine if my computer fails I can still keep my updates am I correct in what I am thinking your saying?