Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Items are not being placed correctly in other web varient pages.

Hello,..I thought I would try out the latest version of WDP and when I used one of the free website templates to try it out, something odd is puzzling me.

First,..I thought the Responsive pages come with 3 variants: Desktop, Tablet and Mobile. The one I tried only has two.

Second,...when I added a line of text to the main page (desktop size) and I right-click on the text and tell it to share it on all variants (which again in this case seems to be only one; the mobile phone variant) it pastes the line of text way outside of the page onto the gray pasteboard background. Why? Why wouldn't it place it in the equivalent spot on the Mobile Variant as it is on the Main Page?

When I preview it of course and shrink the browser size, the text does not appear. This seems stupid that it doesn't put the objects that you request to be placed on all variants in the correct locations. Am I missing something here or am I really supposed to manually place each object on the variants for everything I do on the main page (or desktop default variant)?

Default Re: Items are not being placed correctly in other web varient pages.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Hello,..I thought I would try out the latest version of WDP and when I used one of the free website templates to try it out, something odd is puzzling me.

First,..I thought the Responsive pages come with 3 variants: Desktop, Tablet and Mobile. The one I tried only has two.

Second,...when I added a line of text to the main page (desktop size) and I right-click on the text and tell it to share it on all variants (which again in this case seems to be only one; the mobile phone variant) it pastes the line of text way outside of the page onto the gray pasteboard background. Why? Why wouldn't it place it in the equivalent spot on the Mobile Variant as it is on the Main Page?

When I preview it of course and shrink the browser size, the text does not appear. This seems stupid that it doesn't put the objects that you request to be placed on all variants in the correct locations. Am I missing something here or am I really supposed to manually place each object on the variants for everything I do on the main page (or desktop default variant)?
    It is possible Xara has redesigned the Templates to accommodate "Fit to Width"; managing 3 Variants is hard for a Designer.

Sharing a Text Area or Shape across Variants places it in the same X-Y coord, if possible as its creation location, unless you have used some Auto-fit to Page options that tell your application where the object should align with or to.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Usually two variants is enough. The normal variant should work for tablets as well.

If you create a site from scratch and then create a variant, all the content of the large variant is pasted same size to the new variant. Only the page size changes. This allows you to edit the content and resize the content to fit the page. This is what is happening with your shared text.

OK,...so I guess I DO have to manually adjust everything. Bummer.
    That's like building your web page twice every single time. So if I have a 7-page site,...I basically will be touching 14 pages while editing.
    Perhaps this is normal but I needed to know this before committing to buying the program. I have no choice then but to stick with the old Mobirise template that
    automatically has responsive tech built-in, thus allowing me to simply edit the pages once. I've been editing the MobiRise pages in Notepad ++ and although that too gives me some heartburn, I "think" it's still easier than building a complete page in duplicate every time. I'm not trying to trash talk WDP as it has served me well in previous years, but I have to go with which approach is faster in this instance for me personally.

Thanks for your kind support of my questions.

Auto-fit to Page is there to cover these issues so when creating a new shape go there there first and configure before throwing into a variant.

I design my Main page. I Auto-fit my text and shapes and then set up shares. Then I create a Variant just a bit larger (bear with me) and then reduce its page width to my required Mobile width and everything moves into place.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Auto-fit to Page is there to cover these issues so when creating a new shape go there there first and configure before throwing into a variant.

I design my Main page. I Auto-fit my text and shapes and then set up shares. Then I create a Variant just a bit larger (bear with me) and then reduce its page width to my required Mobile width and everything moves into place.

Acorn
    VERY clever Acorn!!

Related to that strategy, I'm curious as to what setting (dimensions) you use for the Mobile variant. Also as Gary had mentioned previously, do you also feel comfortable with just having your main large page and one mobile variant?

In doing some digging I also noticed that there is an option in the utilities menu that would allow me to just create one page and set the publish parameters to "scale to width". I did see where that basically will reduce and enlarge the original content based on the user's browser sizing and NOT RETAIN existing sizes like a variant would. This option may still work for me though since I'm pretty confident that my work peers will not ever desire to navigate the site on their tiny phones. Where this may get "iffy" for me though would be the Tablet environment. I would say maybe less than 10% employ tablets and 80% use a 12-15" laptop and another 10% use a desktop.

The scale to width setting could be enough and solve my problems easy enough.

I do like your strategy though too and it would be the most guaranteed solution. Just not sure what dimension setting to use for the mobile variant.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    VERY clever Acorn!!
    Related to that strategy, I'm curious as to what setting (dimensions) you use for the Mobile variant. Also as Gary had mentioned previously, do you also feel comfortable with just having your main large page and one mobile variant?
    In doing some digging I also noticed that there is an option in the utilities menu that would allow me to just create one page and set the publish parameters to "scale to width". I did see where that basically will reduce and enlarge the original content based on the user's browser sizing and NOT RETAIN existing sizes like a variant would. This option may still work for me though since I'm pretty confident that my work peers will not ever desire to navigate the site on their tiny phones. Where this may get "iffy" for me though would be the Tablet environment. I would say maybe less than 10% employ tablets and 80% use a 12-15" laptop and another 10% use a desktop.
    The scale to width setting could be enough and solve my problems easy enough.
    I do like your strategy though too and it would be the most guaranteed solution. Just not sure what dimension setting to use for the mobile variant.
    Main and one works for me. I use 1440px and 720px with Scale to Fit Width though I break my own rules and build separate sites with JavaScript code to switch on detection of browser size and also a one-liner to scale to width. basically, I create a Main and Variant. Clone the design file, delete the Variant and publish. Clone the design,delete the Mani and change the former Variant to a Supersite and publish.

Acorn