Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: If I buy Designer Pro X v16, will I get v17 for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Yes you can backup the content and widgets and use them later if the worst happens. The path you stated is correct and you need to simply copy the 'eng' folder to another location and copy it back again if needed. There is no installing of the content, just copy and paste in the right location.
    I see. Thank you.

Acorn,

I will add that to my template text along with the link for the next time the question comes up.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Acorn,
    I will add that to my template text along with the link for the next time the question comes up.
    Thank you John, all will appreciate that.

My hope is still for Xara to constructively engage and advise the Guide has been accordingly revised and distributed at time of purchase.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn

And I am hoping that Magix will also update the advert web pages to make the Update Service front and centre, such that users read it and are aware of what it all means before purchase. This should include FAQ describing advantages, disadvantages, problems, flaws and mitigation for each product.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Acorn

And I am hoping that Magix will also update the advert web pages to make the Update Service front and centre, such that users read it and are aware of what it all means before purchase. This should include FAQ describing advantages, disadvantages, problems, flaws and mitigation for each product.
    Well, we two could write it up but will MaiXara even care?

That is the nub.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Yes you will if v17.0 is released within the period of your Update service.

If you buy today you will get v16.3.1 and at the end of the Update Service it is most probably you will have v17.1, v17.2 or v17.3.
    The problem then is if you then have a reinstall forced on you for whatever reason, you will revert to v16.3.1.

Personally, I would wait to the release of v17.1 even if v17.0 is expected by the end of March coming.
    This is simply because any new major release always has bugs and if you buy in at v17.0 there is a chance that Xara will not make v17.1 just a bug release and you will be stuck with a buggy version until you are frustrated enough to renew.

In the next coming weeks download the trial of Xara Web Designer Premium for 30 days and then do the same for Xara Designer Pro X for the next 30 days. You can download and not register immediately.
    If v17.0 is released in this period, you may be able to download trial versions all over and so get 4 months of practice and then buy in.

Acorn
    This is a weird upgrade policy, I hate it, I prefer to get the update installer for a major version, and buy upgrade for new version.

Would a Mod move this Thread to the Dear Xara Forum as a pre-sales Case Study or anti-pattern User Story.

Acorn

Where i can find "whats new" Xara Designer 17 ? Because it is already out(I updated today), but there is no description of new features.
    PS: http://dl03.magix.net/designerprox17_dlm.exe

thats quick off the mark - the manual link still points to ver 16.. don't think there are any release notes yet....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

~Fred