Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default If I buy Designer Pro X v16, will I get v17 for free?

I would like to purchase a Designer Pro X license, but I am afraid v17 will released a few months later. If I buy it now, will I get v17 for free?

Default Re: If I buy Designer Pro X v16, will I get v17 for free?

Quote Originally Posted by flim View Post
    I would like to purchase a Designer Pro X license, but I am afraid v17 will released a few months later. If I buy it now, will I get v17 for free?
    Yes you will if v17.0 is released within the period of your Update service.

If you buy today you will get v16.3.1 and at the end of the Update Service it is most probably you will have v17.1, v17.2 or v17.3.
    The problem then is if you then have a reinstall forced on you for whatever reason, you will revert to v16.3.1.

Personally, I would wait to the release of v17.1 even if v17.0 is expected by the end of March coming.
    This is simply because any new major release always has bugs and if you buy in at v17.0 there is a chance that Xara will not make v17.1 just a bug release and you will be stuck with a buggy version until you are frustrated enough to renew.

In the next coming weeks download the trial of Xara Web Designer Premium for 30 days and then do the same for Xara Designer Pro X for the next 30 days. You can download and not register immediately.
    If v17.0 is released in this period, you may be able to download trial versions all over and so get 4 months of practice and then buy in.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

If online content not available after 365 days, then I will lost the access to the Print and Web Components? Lost the access to the widgets unless I upgrade? If I cannot access to those widgets without upgrade, Designer Pro X only a drawing and photo editor which is useless to me, as I have CorelDraw Graphic Suite already.

You are able to Download all and store on your computer. All widgets are available to you and will work thereafter. Your problem is if your regressed version doesn't recognize the later widgets. You can cover yourself by keeping two copies active.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 11 March 2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn do you mean version 16 is bug free

Quote Originally Posted by flim View Post
    If online content not available after 365 days, then I will lost the access to the Print and Web Components? Lost the access to the widgets unless I upgrade? If I cannot access to those widgets without upgrade, Designer Pro X only a drawing and photo editor which is useless to me, as I have CorelDraw Graphic Suite already.
    After download the content can I backup those widgets for future re-installation? What is the folder location of the download content?

Edit:
    I think I found the location of the content based on this information
    https://help.xara.com/article/113-wh...ontent-catalog

In my PC they are in AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\16\Cache\designs\eng

Can I import the cache back to Local Design Gallery if I reinstall the software?
    Last edited by flim; 12 March 2020 at 01:14 AM.

Yes you can backup the content and widgets and use them later if the worst happens. The path you stated is correct and you need to simply copy the 'eng' folder to another location and copy it back again if needed. There is no installing of the content, just copy and paste in the right location.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Acorn do you mean version 16 is bug free
    behzad, "you will be stuck with a buggy version" could be read that way.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    John, the OP is an intelligent questioner and yet Xara's guide is still vague.
    Note: Any templates or widgets that you have already used in your existing documents will continue to work and be editable, including the Xara Slideshow widget.
    None of this covers the ability to Download all.

The Xara Desktop applications have wonderful capabilities but their marketing and delivery are still misaligned to hard reality.

Acorn