Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cost of update

Default Re: cost of update

No need to renew the update service every year as you can pay for the M-Hosting separately as I just did - $24US. I did not renew last July.

The caveat is that if you are outside of the Update Service period and have to reinstall, the program installed will be the version available when you last paid. Thus if you have any projects that used features that came out after you paid, that is, during the Update Service 1 year period, you could have some problems. Should that happen, renewing solves the problem.

Secondly, if you don't plan on renewing, download all of the on-line catalogue content before expiry.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

behzad

Thank you for the comment. No offence taken. I appreciate the inference regarding business or hobby. I have no clients.

I am looking at the program for enjoyment. It really does look good. The more I look at it, the more I think I will enjoy it. I've still got 29 days left on Xara Web Designer trial.

I'm a member of this forum, therefore will use and digest the comments. Being retired means that I don't have much spare time and can only spare an hour a day for practice. Only someone who is retired will understand what I mean.

Regards and thanks to all who have given your time in answers

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    renewing solves the problem.
    no it gets backs what you had before, by making you pay more for it - john [browj2] still does not understand the actual problem
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by rossjackson01 View Post
    If a domain is included, then I will be obligated to update.
    The domain offering is very, very basic but good enough for a hobbyist. You don't get SSL, you don't get PHP, you don't get email. I pay much more for all of these but I can host other domains for paying customers.

The M-domain I have I use for TG support. I would far prefer it not to be included and get a discount back.

Web Designer is truly not worth considering. With Premium, you would be able use all in http://downloadsv16.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html for the year on-line and also download everything locally to use indefinitely.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

for a 'hobbyist' hosting is cheap enough to buy elsewhere with your own top level domain - personally I have no faith whatsoever in the magix hosting package continuing as it is or not morphing into something less attractive to the customer; the track record is not good
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no it gets backs what you had before, by making you pay more for it - john [browj2] still does not understand the actual problem
    I fully understand the actual problem AND the solution. Please, let's not go there again.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

the problem is losing access - paying to get it back is not a solution to that problem, it is effectively a workaround that leaves you out of pocket if you have no other benefit from the renewal, and in my opinion it is unfair

I am glad you understand that
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 March 2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarity
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    the problem is losing access - paying to get it back is not a solution to that problem, it is effectively a workaround that leaves you out of pocket if you have no other benefit from the renewal, and in my opinion it is unfair

I am glad you understand that
    I understand that fully. You describe what is probably the worst case, "...if you have no other benefit from the renewal."

The other solutions are: 1. Magix/Xara scraps the Update Service program or, 2. Magix/Xara lets you reinstall whatever was available at the end of the Update Service period, whether or not you had actually updated.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2
    You describe what is probably the worst case
    and does that make it any less relevant ? ...

the second two 'solutions' are hypothetical because they are not actually available to us, are they? - in the second case especially the bug fixes...
    Nothing lasts forever...

handrawn, brownj2.

Comments noted on a good discussion. Nice to see such without discord. I like this forum.

I've purchased Premium for £40, as a birthday present to myself. It will give me at least a years up to date practice, and fun beyond.

Thank you to all. I'll now be questioning you all again on other simple problems.

Regards

Ross