Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Faint Hairlines around cut or erased image areas

Hi All
    I use Xara Designer Pro X 16 and I'm having problems with faint lines appearing round the edges of image areas erased or cut out. I thought they may just be on screen artifacts but the appear on prints too!!! Could it be some kind of a memory issue? Any ideas would be welcome.
    Regards
    Ron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artifacts.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	126486

Default Re: Faint Hairlines around cut or erased image areas

erased/cut out in xara... which method did you use?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have tried to remove the artefacts from your bitmap by hand and I could get up to the black.
    I used the Erase background button and the results were similar but you have to be quite precise.
    By far, the most accurate is using the Shape tool and clicking and shaping curved lines round the shape to close it and then use Select All with Intersect All.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detailed Plan drawing.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	126487

If your actual image is massive (which I doubt), you might have a memory issue.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

the 'gap' where the white goes between the upper and lower drawings needs care, what interests me is why the lines are there in the first place... the OP's question as such...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi again, the methods used were both cutting out using the marquee tool and the eraser. Both leave the same lines. The image is about 4000 pixels tall. I've simply been cleaning up some old scanned magazine plans to square them up and remove bad areas. This is the first time it's happened, I just wanted to know if anyone has come across this problem before and if the found a cure.
    Ron

I would use the Levels Tool (Photo Tool fly-out menu). Drag the White Point eye dropper of the gray lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white point.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	126492  

non of this explains the lines... its as if slicing was done with an outline [and that includes 0 pix, it should be 'none'] or the 'image' is actually a group...
    Nothing lasts forever...