Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
Handrawn and Acorn are correct here - this error message is common across many applications. It's caused by missing or corrupt DLL's that are installed by the MS C++ redist package. Normally uninstalling and reinstalling Web Designer will fix this, although you can install the packages manually. I believe you need 2008 and 2013 redists...

(please note - you will need to install both 64 and 32 bit versions as the cambridge.exe that makes the live effects plugins work actually is 32 bit, and will error out if 32 bit isn't installed. It won't stop the actual program from working though)

The other error message ('the application was unable to start'...) is normally caused by the dll not being registered, usually caused by permission issues in which case Acorns fix should work.

If your update service is out of date then it's unlikely that Magix will reply unfortunately.
Thank you, Rob. Magix did reply with my product code (which I already had, but it's the thought that's important). I uninstalled and reinstalled as suggested, but still received the same error message you mentioned. However, your note said that the 32-bit version was necessary for some plug-ins, so I installed that, too. Voila! The 32-bit version works, though the 64-bit still returns the same error code.

I will break down now and try Acorn's fix, which I've been resisting. Thanks everyone. Not yet complete but daylight ahead!